How to Download and Install WPMLAugust 28th, 2012 by Amir
You can download and install WPML manually, by downloading ZIP files from your WPML.org account, or automatically, via the Plugins admin screen.
Manual Download and Install
In case you want to install WPML manually, follow these steps:
- Log in to your WPML.org account.
- Go to the Downloads section.
- Download the WPML components that you need.
- Unzip each file. A directory will be created.
- Upload the unzipped directories to your site’s ‘wp-contents/plugins’ directory.
- Log in to your site, go to Plugins and enable them.
You should note that manual installation will require to download all of WPML’s components and repeat this process for every upgrade.
Manual install is useful if your site is running on a private network, with no access to the Internet, or if you’re using your own scripts to manage plugins across a network. Normally, you should use the automated install, described next.
Automated Installation (recommended)
WPML uses the Installer plugin for automated, safe and easy installation. There’s a one-time setup process, described below. After this setup process, WPML downloads and upgrades will automatically appear in your site’s Plugins section.
1. Go to Installer plugin page and download from there.
2. Unzip Installer and upload to your site’s ‘wp-contents/plugins’ directory.
3. Log in to your site, go to Plugins and enable Installer.
4. Go to Settings->Repositories, locate wpml.org repo and log in to your account.
A window will open, asking for your login details.
Log in to your WPML.org account, with your username and password. We’ll save your details encrypted and use them whenever there’s an upgrade to WPML, to get new versions automatically.
5. Once you are logged in, click on ‘Install plugins from WPML.org‘. You will see all of WPML’s components (there are several results for WPML, you may need to scroll down to see all of them).
6. Next to each of WPML’s components, there’s a link to either ‘Install Now’ or ‘Installed’ (if it’s installed already). Click on Install Now for the components that you need.
Note: if you purchased Multilingual Blog, only base WPML plugin will be available to download (WPML Multilingual CMS). You’ll see ‘upgrade’ links next to the other components.
Click on the Install Now links to download and install WPML.
Want to see it in action? Watch the Using Installer Video!
Of course, for all this to work, you need to have an account in WPML.org. With every purchase, you receive a year of upgrades and support and you can use WPML on as many sites as you like.
Need an account? Buy WPML