WPML includes its own automatic update and install process. After you install the base WPML plugin once, you can auto-install its components and receive upgrades directly to the WordPress admin.
- First time WPML installation
- Registering WPML to receive automatic updates
- Registering Development Sites
- Unregistering WPML
- Updating WPML
- Checking for updates
- Updating sites that use WooCommerce Multilingual
The first time you use WPML, you need to manually download it and install it on your site. Then, register it so you can receive automated updates to future versions.
- Log in to your WPML.org account and go to the Downloads section.
- Download the main WPML plugin. You can install other WPML components later in the WPML setup wizard.
- Log into your site. In the WordPress admin, go to the Plugins → Add New and click Upload Plugin. Select the ZIP file that you downloaded from your account and click Install Now.
- Go back to the Plugins page and activate WPML.
- Follow WPML’s setup wizard to add languages to your site, choose your language URL format, select your translation mode, register WPML (see next section for more details), and install other WPML components
You can also learn about installing beta and development versions of WPML.
As you go through the setup wizard, you’re required to register WPML. Registering allows you to receive automatic updates directly to the WordPress admin.
Depending on which WPML account type you buy, you can install it on a different number of production sites. Plus you get extra site keys you can use on development sites:
|Account type||# of production site keys||# of development site keys|
To register WPML:
- Start the setup wizard, and click Get a key for this site on the step to register. If you already have WPML configured on your site, you can register by going to Plugins → Add New and clicking the Commercial tab. Click Get a key for this site to generate a site key in your WPML account.
- This opens your WPML.org account where you can choose the type of site (production or development) and the number of automatic translation credits you want to assign to the site.
- Copy the generated site key, and paste it into the field in the setup wizard to finish registering your site.
If you use a WPML version prior to WPML 4.5 or you need to re-register your site, you can register it by going to Plugins → Add New and clicking the Commercial tab. Click Get a key for this site to generate a site key in your WPML account.
After registering, you will receive updates for WPML and its components automatically to the site that you just registered, and you can easily download any other available WPML components.
WPML gives you 3 times the number of production site keys to use on development sites. This means you don’t have to “waste” your production site keys on development sites.
Sites that register WPML using a development site key display a banner on the top of their site’s front-end and backend stating it’s a development site. Other than that difference, you can receive automated updates and use all the WPML features, just like a regular site key.
When you’re ready to move a development site to production:
- Log into your WPML.org account and go to your list of registered sites.
- Click the gear icon next to the site you want to move to production.
- Return to your site, and you’ll see the banner is no longer visible.
If you frequently move your site between development, staging, and production, you can also set your site up for automatic WPML registration using PHP.
Having a problem with registration? See some common troubleshooting tips.
If you use the complimentary Toolset Types plugin included with your WPML account, please ensure you register it as a WPML plugin instead of a Toolset plugin. Follow our instructions on how to register the complimentary Toolset Types plugin for details.
You can unregister your site to stop receiving updates automatically or to free up the site key from a site you no longer need.
- Go to Plugins → Add New and click the Commercial tab.
- Click Unregister WPML from this site.
- Then, log into your WPML account and click on Register WPML on your sites to see the list of sites you have registered.
- Click the Trash icon next to the site for which you no longer want to receive updates.
Once you register WPML on your site, you will receive updates automatically.
Whenever a new version of WPML is available, notices appear in the Updates and Plugins sections of the WordPress dashboard. Notices appear in the Updates and Plugins sections.
On the Plugins page, click Update now to install each new update.
Updates don’t affect your content (including translations), but before performing any updates, we recommend backing up your database. This includes WordPress, your theme, and plugins.
If you prefer not to receive updates automatically, you can update your site manually.
WPML releases new updates gradually. This means not everyone will receive the automatic update at the same time.
If you would like to update WPML before receiving the update:
- Go to the Plugins → Add New page.
- Click the Commercial tab.
- Click Check for updates.This checks for updates that are in the process of being released and allows you to update your plugins.
If you run a multilingual store with WPML and WooCommerce Multilingual, we recommend upgrading the plugins in the following order:
- WPML Multilingual CMS plugin
- Other WPML plugins (including WooCommerce Multilingual)