Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 week, 5 days ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
April 16, 2024 at 5:09 pm #15527370

andreS-25

Hi ! I'm having a little problem which i'm sure there is a simple solution but i cannot find it.

In french there are masculine and feminine words. I the problematic case, the word "Next" can be translated to "Prochain" or "Prochaine" dépending on the context.

When WPML sees a word that has already been translated it automatically fills out the translation. How can I override this.

Even if I correct the string translation, whenever i translate something else on that page, WPML changes this particular translation whithout me touching it. Is there a way to prevent this going forward ?

Thanks

Capture d’écran 2024-04-16 130730.png
April 16, 2024 at 5:30 pm #15527670

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

That is an excellent question, the type of case the ATE glossary was created for.

Please review the following documentation and let me know your results:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/how-to-create-and-manage-glossary-entries/

April 16, 2024 at 10:15 pm #15528350

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

Please try to check the documentation that my colleague shared above and let us know if you still need help on this topic.

Mihai Apetrei

April 18, 2024 at 6:04 pm #15540534

andreS-25

Unfortunalely the Glossary is of no use in my case. As you can see in the screen cap :

"Your next" can be translated in french by "Votre prochaine" if the next word is feninine or by "Votre prochain" (without the e) if the next word is masculine.

The glossary would work if ne next word was within the same phrase but for layout purposes, it is not...

What would be perfect was if your glossary could manage 2 translations for the same phrase and wo could chose within the translator.

The problem remains, everytime we make a text modification, enven though we corrected the "prochain' string before, it will automatically revert back on it own, so we have to always change it at every time which is very annoying. Especially becaus its part of the main hero caroussel. So when we forget to do it, there is a big 56pt typo on the fron page.

Thanks

André

Capture d’écran 2024-04-18 135406.png
April 19, 2024 at 2:08 pm #15544170

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi André and thank you for the update.

Unfortunately, this looks like a pretty unique situation indeed, and there seems to be no real solution at the moment, not even a workaround, from what I was able to check.

Only maybe try to use the option shared in the screenshot below (took that from our documentation) and see if it does the trick.

If that wouldn't work, for the moment, this would need to be done manually.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 17.05.45.png
April 19, 2024 at 3:59 pm #15544651

andreS-25

The thing is : we have to correct it each time we go into the tranlations for that page...

Is there a way to disable these automatic translations ?

André

April 20, 2024 at 9:06 pm #15546475

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Welcome back, André!

I definitely understand what you are experiencing.

There are only two alternatives here, in case you want to disable the automatic translations. I will share them below.

1. You can remove the whole Translation Memory (because that's where the already translated content exists) but that will remove ALL the translation memory and you might not want that:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/delete-translation-memory/#post-7514523

Also, please take a look here if you want to understand how translation memory works:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

2. Or you can switch to the Classic Translation Editor (which doesn't have automatic translation):
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-can-i-delete-automatic-translations-and-use-wpml-as-it-was-before/#post-10712969

At this point, in this unique situation, those are the only options. This is definitely a pretty unique situation in regards to this specific wording.

I hope that you will find all this information helpful and insightful.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.