Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by areL 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
June 12, 2023 at 7:08 pm #13812417

areL

I'm changing a custom php site for a wordpress with wpml. The old site works with translation on multiple domains. I'm doing a test with wpml, I've read your tickets on the forum, I've done the steps, but I'm still unsuccessful. Can you help please

June 13, 2023 at 9:11 am #13814971

areL

Hello, I'm now successfully redirecting housealgarve.com (portuguese version) to teste.are.pt (english)

in cloudflare i have:

DNS Records

Type A
Name housealgarve.com
Content 185.32.190.7

Type A
Name www
Content 185.32.190.7

Page Rules

*housealgarve.com/*
Forwarding URL (Status Code: 301 - Permanent Redirect, Url: hidden link)

WPML > Languages >
in Language URL format
Choose how to determine which language visitors see contents in, using A different domain per language.

English hidden link
Portuguese hidden link Validate on save

Not valid

Pass arguments via POST

Can you help please
Thank you

June 14, 2023 at 3:39 am #13821173

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Are,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

Before using the feature "Different domains per language" of WPML, the two domains should display the same site without redirection. Please follow steps below and see if it helps.

1. Go to WPML > Languages > Language URL Format > Change it to "Different languages in directories" (temporary).

2. Configure DNS of your domains without redirection. Two domains must be pointed to the same site (same IP address). You can test it works by typing hidden link and hidden link into the browser if they display the same content and no redirection, please go to step 3.

3. Go to WPML > Languages > Language URL Format > Change it to "Different domains per language".

Refer to the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

June 14, 2023 at 3:45 pm #13826827

areL

The sites do not have the same content. Are the domains supposed to have a clone of the site, or how do I do this process without redirection?

June 15, 2023 at 1:26 am #13828795

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi,

>> Are the domains supposed to have a clone of the site?
No. There is only one site.

>> how do I do this process without redirection?
That means two domains point to the same IP address to display the same site, before using WPML feature. Just think you can access your site with two domains, no redirection here.

You can try to remove the step above:

Page Rules

*housealgarve.com/*
Forwarding URL (Status Code: 301 - Permanent Redirect, Url: hidden link)

and see if it helps. If not, please contact your domain/hosting support to ask for help with this issue. Then setup the WPML feature "Different domains per language".

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.