Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Would you please help us in translating the interactive forms with Formidable PRO addon? We have tried already below solutions, none of them worked.

Solution:
It seems that the glue plugin between WPML and Formidable was not made to have the placeholder string available for translation.

Now, can you go to wp-content/plugins/formidable-wpml/controllers folder, edit the FrmWpmlAppController.php file, and make a change on line 606, please?
Basically, just change the code from this:

$keys = array(
                    'name', 'description', 'default_value',
                    'required_indicator', 'invalid', 'blank',
                    'unique_msg',
                );

to this:

$keys = array(
                    'unique_msg', 'placeholder',
                );

As you can see, now the placeholder is added to that array so it can be made available for translation.

Relevant Documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/how-to-translate-formidable-forms-with-wpml/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/formidable-placeholder-text/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.26 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Radu.

Author Posts
April 22, 2020 at 12:53 pm #5968481

mathijsB

Hello,

Would you please help us in translating the interactive forms with Formidable PRO addon?

We have tried already below solutions, none of them worked:

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/how-to-translate-formidable-forms-with-wpml/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/formidable-placeholder-text/

We cannot find some of the strings to translate, please see below the screen:
image001

Those are represented in Formidable addon as placeholder text, see the screen
image002

image002.png
image001.png
April 23, 2020 at 7:16 pm #5980965

Radu

Hey Mathijs,

Thank you for reaching out to the WPML support!

I just installed this plugin on my website, created a new form, added a couple of fields, and looked at the placeholders. You are right, the value of these fields are nowhere to be found in order to translate them.

I tried a few things in order to translate these elements but I had no luck. This is why I asked my colleagues to have a look at this and see if there's anything else I can try. I will keep you posted about this as soon as I have an update (which shouldn't take long).

Thanks,
Radu

April 24, 2020 at 8:37 am #5984159

Radu

Hey Mathijs,

It's me again 🙂

One of my colleagues looked at this but couldn't find a way to translate the placeholders. That's why I had to escalate this to the 2nd tier.

This time, my colleagues will check the code of the plugin too, see how it works, where the placeholders are stored, and look for a way to make these elements translatable. We will contact the plugin authors too if needed.

I will keep you posted about the progress we're making on this and keep you posted. Also, I will try to come with a temporary fix too, if possible

Thanks,
Radu

April 25, 2020 at 12:07 pm #5992325

Radu

Hey Mathijs,

My colleagues had a close look at this, as I mentioned in my previous message.

It seems that the glue plugin between WPML and Formidable was not made to have the placeholder string available for translation.

Now, can you go to wp-content/plugins/formidable-wpml/controllers folder, edit the FrmWpmlAppController.php file, and make a change on line 606, please?
Basically, just change the code from this:

$keys = array(
					'unique_msg',
				);

to this:

$keys = array(
					'unique_msg', 'placeholder',
				);

As you can see, now the placeholder is added to that array so it can be made available for translation.

Please make this change, and try again to edit the form. If the placeholder strings are not available for translation yet, try to make a small change to one of the placeholders, save the changes, and edit again the translation.

Thanks,
Radu

April 28, 2020 at 12:28 pm #6012351

mathijsB

Hi Radu,

Changing the source code of a plugin is not a good solution for this problem. Yes, it wil fix it for now, but as soon as the plugin gets an update things will go wrong again.

We will contact the plugin builder to see if they have a solution.

April 28, 2020 at 1:18 pm #6012691

Radu

Hey Mathijs,

It's a good idea to reach out to the plugin author. I know that there's no point in fixing this on the plugin files as long as the update will overwrite the change.

My colleagues already send an email to the authors too. We are doing this for all the fixes that we're making and require changes outside of WPML.
However, it's a good idea to send them a message too (to let them know that this is already impacting the plugin users, it's not just a fix that we want to make, in case anybody would ever like to translate the placeholder texts).

Thanks,
Radu

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.