Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 7.96 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 28 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas.

Author Posts
October 4, 2022 at 8:31 am #12175481

christianH-92

Im trying to set up a new language that's supposed to run on its own domain (acperch.se).

I have tried to use the wpml guide on how to do this but get a Not valid error.
Our main language is Danish. We also have English and German (has run as added parameters ?lang= so far). As mention above, the new language Swedish need to run on acperch.se.

The swedish domain is hosted at simply.com. Here I have made a forward to perchs.dk for hidden link and acperch.se (see attachment)

What is the link to your site? hidden link (swedish is hidden)

Skærmbillede 2022-10-04 kl. 10.29.59.png
Skærmbillede 2022-10-04 kl. 10.17.02.png
October 4, 2022 at 9:28 am #12175867

Andreas

Hello there

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to help you.

I can see that you are trying to have 1 domain for 3 languages and 1 domain for the fourth.

hidden link -> en, de, da

hidden link -> sv

This is not possible as our guide is describing here :

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/#3-set-up-the-option-in-wpml

If you insist to have languages per domain, you can do this for example :

hidden link -> da
hidden link ->en
hidden link -> dk
hidden link -> sv

Except for this sometimes the validation is showing not valid, but everything is working as expected. If this happens then you can skip Not Valid error message.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance. I'll gladly help you. 🙂

Regards,
Andreas

October 4, 2022 at 10:05 am #12176167

christianH-92

Thank you Andreas for your reply,
Will this mean that we have to add subdomains for en and de ? That brings up a whole lot of other questions then - will we need to rebuild link structure, what happens to seo, will it run on the same wp installation etc?
It seems like that is a really complex solution.
Im not sure I understand the Different domain per language then? To me its seems like a quite obvious way to have 3 languages on one domain and 1 language in a different?
As your documentation say:
Different domain for each language

For example, if you have a German translation of your English website, you can set it to have a different domain:

example.com → English
example.de → German

This is exactly what we try to do ?

October 4, 2022 at 10:42 am #12176325

Andreas

Thank you very much for your message.

Indeed the workaround that I suggested is very complex. If I was you, I wouldn't go for it.

Now to clarify, as you very well mentioned the scope of that feature is to have different domain per language

example.com → English
example.de → German

This is absolutely correct. But you cannot have 3 languages in one domain and 1 in another. Why?

Because having 3 languages in one domain, means that you need to have a separate directory for each language or a separate language as a parameter, and the fourth to have a different domain.

This is not a supporter of WPML and to be honest I cannot imagine how we could build that feature.

Anyway, you can have 4 domains one for each language and it will work for you as well. But having 2 domains for 4 languages is not possible at this time.

I hope this clarifies things for you and help you, design the next steps in your project.

Regards,
Andreas

October 4, 2022 at 11:37 am #12176709

christianH-92

Thanks again for your reply (and brutal honesty :D)...
Im stil not sure I understand why though. We are talking 4 languages but only 2 domains. But this would work if we only used 2 languages with 2 domains (if I understand correctly).
Do you have any suggestions (based on other users) what they have done and would it be possible to export all swedish products and text to a different wp installation/site, so translations haven't been a waste of time (not sure if that's the best solutions either..)?

October 4, 2022 at 11:41 am #12176715

christianH-92

In addition (just a thought). If I understand this - would it work if we use a different domain per language - ex danish perchs.dk, Eng acperch.com, GE acperch.de, SE acperch.se ?

October 4, 2022 at 12:05 pm #12176889

Andreas

I will reply to your second comment directly because this is the easiest solution right now.

I have already mentioned it in my previous comment.

If you have 4 domains, then each language will have its domain and this will work without any problem.

I know it is an extra cost but this is the safest way to add different domains per language.

Regards,
Andreas

October 4, 2022 at 12:47 pm #12177167

christianH-92

Ok - my bad - got confused on this.. I will give it some thought, but I guess it will be the best/easiest solution as well. Not quite sure what affect it will have on the site in general as a lot of ranked links etc will disappear..
Thanks

October 4, 2022 at 2:11 pm #12177669

Andreas

You can use a safe redirect and you will be fine

(Export old urls -> add new ones ) .

WPML is not doing redirects so you can use another tool for this.

If you need any further help do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Andreas

October 10, 2022 at 10:09 am #12212137

christianH-92

Hi Andreas,
I have now configured specific domains for each language, but still I get a Not valid error when saving?. Do you have any suggestions on what I can be doing wrong?
Regards,
Rasmus

October 10, 2022 at 10:28 am #12212207

Andreas

If everything is working in the backend, then ignore the validation. Some time is gives an error but it hasn't actually.

Regards,
Andreas

October 10, 2022 at 12:50 pm #12213685

christianH-92

Backend Is working fine, but nothing happens on the frontend and when I enter the Language settings page again things are back to - Language name added as a parameter ?
It seem like it won't save the changes?

October 10, 2022 at 1:28 pm #12214137

Andreas

First of all I can see that all domains are having a 301 redirect ( hidden link, hidden link). Only hidden link is not having anything

Also, I can see that you are behind clouflare.

Since WPML is not adding any kind of redirection I am having the feeling that you have not configured it correctly domains please also disable cloudflare until you finish your tests.

Please read one more time what needs to be done here :

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/

When you finish trying to resave language settings, please share the results.

Regards,
Andreas

October 11, 2022 at 9:14 am #12218555

christianH-92

I have now changed the dns settings for all the domains to hit the same ip (where the website is hosted) and they all work. Still I can't save the settings in wpml and I still get the Not valid error.
We are using Cloudflare but traffic is pointed to the right adresses. This is for .de and .se (dns settings are the same for .com though).
Can I upload hidden info for you to see (screenshots)?
Regards
Rasmus

October 11, 2022 at 10:15 am #12219043

Andreas

The problem is why you cannot save settings.

Would you be willing to provide me with WordPress credentials so I could investigate the issue directly?

If yes please disable clouflare until we finished the tests.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

I marked your next reply as private so that you can safely add credentials.

Regards,
Andreas

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.