Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.44 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by carmeloT 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
May 26, 2023 at 11:58 am #13722997

carmeloT

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I want to translate from English to Spanish this Theme from Good Layers hidden link which is just in English.

I want to have it in Spanish.
As the developer told me, I have to do the complete strings translations for this.

1. Can I do this with Automatic translation to Spanish?
2. Could I save this in the Spanish version of the website so that I could go back to English if ever needed?
2. How could I "secure/block" this Spanish translation so that when the developer drops new updates, my Spanish translations do not get affected.

Thanks a lot,
Carmelo

May 29, 2023 at 11:38 am #13731863

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello Carmelo,

if we are talking about strings coming from theme files (PHP) and you need to translate them.

1) You can do so via WPML String translation. You will need to scan related theme/plugins and then translate them.

- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/#scanning-for-hard-coded-strings

2) Yes, you can select multiple strings and translate them automatically:

- https://wpml.org/documentation/automatic-translation/automatically-translating-multiple-translation-jobs-in-bulk/

3) Your English strings will be used on the English language and Spanish on the Spanish language, they will not overwrite one another.

4) There is no way to secure string translation, as you say, they should also work fine when the theme is updated. But if you wish there is an import/export option on WPML string translation you can use to import/export them.

Hope this helps.

Regadrs,
Drazen

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.