If you are not receiving WPML updates automatically, you need to update manually. After this manual update, you can register WPML and receive automated updates to future versions.
For manual updates, follow these steps:
- Ensure that you have a database backup for the site. You can back-up your database using plugins like Duplicator, BackupBuddy or by taking a database dump using your hosting control panel.
- Log in to your WPML.org account, then go to the Downloads section.
- Download the WPML components that you need. You will receive a ZIP file for each one of WPML’s components.
- Deactivate the current WPML version that you are using. Be sure to deactivate WPML and all its components. Otherwise, the installation files may be locked and not writable. Don’t worry, your translations are not modified.
- Delete the plugin, so that you can install the new version.
Note: if you cannot delete from inside WordPress, use an FTP program to delete the folders of WPML and its components from wp-content/plugins.
- If you have our old Installer plugin, deactivate it and remove from the ../wp-content/plugins directory. The new WPML versions include the automated installer component.
- In the WordPress admin, go to Plugins → Add new to upload the ZIP files and activate them.
When you are done and have the current version of WPML, remember to register WPML to receive automated updates for future versions.