Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.00 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Radu.

Author Posts
May 29, 2020 at 2:53 pm #6250789

markS-67

I've built a site that uses WPML (pixium-vision.com).

However the way the client would like to use it to post news items does not appear to work very intuitively with WPML. This may be my lack of understanding or just how WPML works but I'm looking for a solution to make it better.

When the client posts a news story they post in english and then translate to French. The issue is with attaching/Embedding a pdf. Currently I must write the english version of the post and then upload both the EN and FR pdfs to the media library and then manually copy links (links to the pdfs and the embed code) into the WPML translation window (image attached):

This is really cumbersome since there is a lot of cutting and pasting of links and embeds.

What I want is the ability to Attach the english version of the pdf and the french version of the pdf to the post and have them embed correctly (with the corresponding links to pdf). You'd think that this would be possible in the Media section of the dialog above, but it is not.

So, I'm curious as to whether you could provide a solution or assistance with this. Please let me know.

wpml issue.png
June 1, 2020 at 7:05 am #6263431

Radu

Hey Mark,

Thank you for reaching out to the WPML support!

As I understand from your message, you're using this plugin for embedding PDF files on your posts:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/pdf-embedder/

This seems to be using a shortcode and you're adding the link to that PDF inside the shortcode. Since this is a free plugin, I was able to install it on my website for a test.

I added this config to WPML → Settings → Custom XML Configuration tab:

<wpml-config>
    <shortcodes>
        <shortcode>
            <tag>pdf-embedder</tag>
            <attributes>
                <attribute type="link">url</attribute>
            </attributes>
        </shortcode>
    </shortcodes>
</wpml-config>

and when I tried to translate the post where I used the shortcode, I got a field only for the link URL, not for the whole shortcode.

Can you give this a try on your website (try to create a new post to see the change), and tell me if this is what you were looking for, please?

Thanks,
Radu

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.