Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The portfolio slug does not work in the permalink of the translation.
Solution:
There are two strings registered and translated for the same slug, remove one (option string) to resolve the issue.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tomazK 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
February 6, 2023 at 2:29 pm #12969181

tomazK

Hi

We have a problem with the operation of the bilingual site in different domains per language mode.
As we can see, the page works in principle, but problems arise when changing the language (and domain) and URL-slugs for Portfolio post types.
Sometimes the slug is not changed, maybe only when the page is refreshed.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/

What is the link to your site?
hidden link
hidden link

Case:
hidden link
switching to EN language
hidden link
- slug should not be /etapa/ , it should be /stage/

After a few refreshes it loads a page with a correct slug
hidden link

Default language is set to EN, slug is set to /stage/ in a permalink settings and translated to /etapa/ within Sting Translation.

Any idea?

February 7, 2023 at 4:14 am #12973613

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

I also see that issue on your site for now. Please try to follow some troubleshooting steps below and see if it helps.

1. Enable a minimal environment
- Deactivate all non-WPML plugins
- Switch to the main theme (currently the child theme is activated)

2. Go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting > Click on some buttons below
- [Post type xts-portfolio] Synchronize posts taxonomies
- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Fix WPML tables collation
- Fix post type assignment for translations
❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
You can use this plugin to create the backup: 
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

If it does not help, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

February 7, 2023 at 11:31 am #12976997

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

After reviewing, I think there could be a conflicting slug with the project base "stage" of the post type "xts-portfolio" on your site. I also see that:
- from the backend, if I login to the admin area and click to view the portfolio in the English language, I can access the portfolio as well.
- from the frontend, if I view the portfolio in the English language first, I can access the portfolio as well, but if I switch to the Slovenian language and switch back, it does not work and display 404 page.

If I remove the project base in Settings > Permalinks and save changes, it reset to the default "project" and everything works correctly.

I'm discussing this issue with my 2nd tier support to get some advice and I will get back to you if I have any information.

Thanks.

February 8, 2023 at 8:01 am #12984495

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

There are two strings registered for the same slug. One is WordPress slug (expected) another is option string (not expected). The second one is deleted and it works now, please check the screenshot attached. Can you please confirm this?

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

Screenshot-2023-02-08-131947.png
February 8, 2023 at 9:24 am #12985065

tomazK

Great.

It looks perfect for now.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
Tomaz

February 8, 2023 at 10:03 am #12985883

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Feel free to create a new ticket if you have another question.

Thanks.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.