Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jeroenS-7 1 year ago.

Author Posts
April 20, 2023 at 3:52 pm #13513125

jeroenS-7

Hi there,

I have a situation where I would like to ask for some advice before I start messing stuff up.

The thing is, my clients website is on a .NL domain, with currently all content in English (there's only one language in use right now). The question from him to me is, please add WPML and add Dutch as extra language.
Now I would like to go through adding the plugins, add Dutch as primary language for the website and move all original content to the - once set - secundary language on clientdomain.nl/en/.
In the setup process, the first question is about the default language of the website, which should be Ducht, but is currently English. I'm not sure if I should select the language it needs to be, or the language it actually is right now. And is there a way to change this after the initial setup process?

I tried finding people with a simulair situation, but couldn't find any other post on this forum to help me with setting this up the correct way.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Best regards,

Jeroen
Pure Pixels

April 20, 2023 at 6:04 pm #13513585

Andreas

Hi,

before your ticket is assigned to one of my colleagues, please allow me to walk you through some initial debugging steps. This will help speed up the support process.

If I understand correctly you wish to just change the default language from ENG to NL.

The contents will not be changed and if the content is ENG and the translation is in NL.

It is good after the change to create first the ENG language and then translate to NL in order to avoid mixed original content.

Here are the steps to change default language :

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/default-language-settings/#post-11819301

Please always take a full backup before making any changes.

Regards,
Andreas

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.