Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

From WPML > Languages, you can change the default language of your site. This does not cause issues with your translated content. If you change the default language after translating your site's content, WPML automatically adjusts your content and links to point to the corresponding language.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jose-mariaS-6 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
August 7, 2022 at 10:04 pm #11818587

jose-mariaS-6

Hi, I am creating a multilingual site in English and Spanish.

I created the website in English, since WordPress core is in English and my theme is also coded in English. My WPML default language is also set to English, however, I would prefer my site's default language to be in Spanish and automatically load in Spanish when someone accesses the website, as the majority of users will speak Spanish.

After I have translated all strings and pages from English to Spanish, will it be possible to then set Spanish as the default language? (WPML > Languages).

August 8, 2022 at 3:34 am #11819301

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting WPML support.

I'd like to clarify that switching the default language will not cause issues with your translated contents. But please fully backup your Website before changing the default language.

Below are the steps to change the default language.

1. Go to WPML > Language > Site Languages

2. Click on "Change Default Language" button and Switch to "Spanish"

3. Go to WP > Settings > Permalinks > Resave Permalinks.

Thanks!

Kor

Thanks!

Kor

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.