Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Subash Chandra Poudel 8 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Subash Chandra Poudel.

Author Posts
August 10, 2023 at 9:04 pm #14185019

maxineE-2

Is the process to change the sites locale and href lang just in the Language settings tab? Is there anything else needed to see the changes on the front end? Changed them about an hour ago and don't see the updated values yet.

This change is requested due to wrong locale and langs chosen. Is the Code section on the Languages tab just for organizational purposes? Hoping to leave that the same so we don't have to create a new site with locale and hreflang.

August 12, 2023 at 10:02 pm #14192241

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

Before this ticket gets assigned to my colleagues, I will try to help.

Yes, you should be able to have access to editing the language settings in WPML > Languages > Edit Languages.

I also created this custom search URL for you with existing tickets on the same topic - maybe you will find this helpful:
hidden link

I hope that you will find that information helpful.

Mihai Apetrei

August 15, 2023 at 3:01 pm #14204029

maxineE-2

Hi. Not sure if this answers my question. I believe I changed all the settings right but the locale or hreflang hasn't changed.

August 16, 2023 at 7:14 am #14206353

Subash Chandra Poudel

Hi there,

Can you please let me know what settings exactly you changed and what are you expecting but are not changing? If you could please share links or screenshot it will help me understand the issue better.

Also, if you changed the settings correctly please also try clearing the caches on the server and site to see if it could be die to the caches.

Regards,
Subash

August 22, 2023 at 10:23 pm #14273903

maxineE-2

I'm trying to change the hreflang to /es-mx. It was previously /latam. When changing it to /es-mx the site still goes to /latam not /es-mx

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 5.22.03 PM.png
August 22, 2023 at 11:54 pm #14274021

Subash Chandra Poudel

Hi there,

To ensure the quickest and most accurate support, please provide your debug information so that I can get a look at some of your configurations. You can find it in WPML > Support > click on the “Debug information” link. Please check this link for more info: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Now regarding the issue, I understand that you are trying to change the URL of the translated pages on your site. Please correct me if I got it wrong.

hreflang is an HTML attribute that communicates the language and targeted region of a webpage. So when you change the hreflang of a language the HTML attribute of the translated page will update to that hreflang thus helping your site for better SEO.

More details at: hidden link

If you are trying to change the URL of the translated pages in your site instead, then the Language Code is what determines that. However, editing the language code of a language already saved in WPML is not possible and you should follow the process as explained in the next document if you want to change the URL of the translation/language.

https://wpml.org/faq/how-can-i-assign-or-change-language-code-to-existing-content/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.