Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcus 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
June 15, 2022 at 9:45 am

Marcus

Changing the source language of pages

June 15, 2022 at 10:46 am
June 15, 2022 at 10:51 am #11466387

Marcus

Still having issues with this. Since English is the primary language now I can't access the English translation.
It seems to be a loop. I can't translate the Danish page because it is linked to the Swedish version. But I can't switch it to the English because it's the primary language but still linking to the Swedish page that has all the content.
I don't see how I can solve this without help.

June 15, 2022 at 1:13 pm #11467633

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Changing the default language will not change the original language of the page, being so in this case the original language will always be the Swedish language.

For new pages created the default language will be English.

The only way to change the original language of the page is to disconnect pages with the steps I mentioned before:
- Edit the pages manually
- Choose the "This is a translation of" to None
- Create a translations

If you already have translations, you can follow the above steps for both the languages and connect them afterward where you will be asked to define the original language
More details here: https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-link-already-translated-pages/

So please follow the steps accordingly to fix the issue.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.