Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by qualityU 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
April 10, 2023 at 11:49 am #13437099

qualityU

When user visits URL with original slugs (in our case EN) on other language (e.g. ES), there is redirects chain with wrong URLs. It is happing only on version 4.6.3. With 4.6.2 was everything okay.

For example:
Correct (canonical) URL: hidden link
Visited URL: hidden link
Redirect chain when I visit "Visited URL":
hidden link -> hidden link -> hidden link -> hidden link

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 13.44.15.png
April 10, 2023 at 7:47 pm #13439881

Ahmed Mohammed
Supporter

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+03:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I can see the chain of redirects, but I'm trying to figure out how the user (or search engines) will land on this URL: hidden link. It should be hidden link or hidden link. So could you please share more details on that combination (Spanish domain with English slug)?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

April 11, 2023 at 5:40 am #13441817

qualityU

We used to have multiple translators. Sometimes, they translated texts differently and even with mistakes. At that time, we decided to do not translate links and we will fix them with internal tool in WPML. Otherwise, we faced too many 404 errors. Unfortunately we released that tool is not working in scale. If you have 29 languages with over 50K pages, that tool will work over one month to fix those links, but tool/script can run maximum 24 hours and not on the background.

That's reason why we have the combination of two languages. It worked without any issue till v4.6.2.

April 12, 2023 at 6:59 am #13452419

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

thanks for getting back.

1) I see these redirects are added by CloudFront, not by WPML. Are you adding some redirects and if so how?

2) I am also trying to understand the problem you reporting here, is the redirect or it goes to the wrong page or? Please explain.

3) Does this happens only on that page or other also? For example WP default posts?

4) What happens if you use WP default theme and only WPML plugins active?

5) What happens if you disable WPML plugins and check?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Drazen

April 12, 2023 at 1:46 pm #13456491

qualityU

First, I recommend reading the first post before you answer something. Second, can we resolve the issue with an experienced person rather than someone who doesn't know anything about programming and infrastructure?

1) It is done by WPML, and it is happening even locally without CF and any other redirects in .htaccess.

2) The problem is that it worked with 4.6.2 and not with 4.6.3. Additionally, Translate Link Targets is not working on a large scale, so I can't resolve the problem in the best way.

3) It is happening across all pages, except the original language.

4) The problem persists.

5) What? Are you kidding me? Obviously, nothing, because that content doesn't exist and is not handled by any plugin.

April 13, 2023 at 6:26 am #13461483

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back.

We will be glad to help but would need a bit more collaboration and politeness from your side. 🙂

Before escalating the issue further, there are more than a few steps we need to check and confirm and get information from you.

Since you mentioned it happens in minimal and with the default theme, and only with the new version I will need to check further and confirm.

In my next reply I am providing steps to migrate a copy of your website to our server so we can check and confirm this.

Thanks,
Drazen

April 13, 2023 at 7:03 am #13461645

qualityU

Politeness is difficult when I'm getting stupid questions, so the best is to double-check the question before writing it. I've lost my passion for WPML and WPML Support, as they have failed to fix critical bugs which I reported over 2-3 years ago, because you simply closed the issue without a fix.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to make a copy of the website; only the database has almost 27 GB and we need to sign an NDA agreement before.

The best is to replicate it on your internal demo website, or maybe the best option would be to check the files related to the functionality that was changed with the last version. It will save time.

April 13, 2023 at 9:28 am #13462781

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

I will note again, that continuing to be rude is not going to help here. I will be glad to help and work further on this ticket/issue, but not if you continue to insult me.

I am sorry if you had a bad experience with WPML support, but if you do, you can always open a chat/ticket or message our management and we will be glad to help.

As for this ticket issue, as said we have a workflow to follow, so I need to confirm the issue first.

In order to help, please go to the next login link, set up the test environment / post / slugs we can use to check, and then I will set up domains and try to replicate and confirm the issue.

Let me know the test steps you did.

- hidden link

Kind regards,
Drazen

April 13, 2023 at 9:50 am #13462929

qualityU

I reported a bug, so a WPML developer should confirm, not me. I have provided all debug data, so it can be replicated without my assistance, just follow the data from that JSON.

It can be replicated only on multidomain (separate domain or subdomain for each language), which I can't do there. Probably it can be even connected with the old editor. Unfortunately, we can't use the advanced editor since there is no compatibility between them. Immediately after switching editors, we will lose over 90% of the data. This is another bug which we reported over two years ago and has still not been fixed.

April 13, 2023 at 9:54 am #13463003

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

we first need to confirm if it is a WPML bug or an issue specific to your environment.

As I said I will set up domains on that setup and confirm the issue.

At least, please share step by step guide on how can I replicate from scratch and check the issue on the new install. I will follow it and replicate it and try to confirm the bug.

Thanks,
Drazen

April 13, 2023 at 10:09 am #13463147

qualityU

First, the big problem with WPML is that not everything can be replicated on a fresh installation. We know this from history, when we were once able to provide a full copy of the website (however, now we cannot because of sensitive data). But, since this is happening even on a local copy, it won't be environment-specific (different server and database, no HTTPS...). It is happening even with the default theme and WPML only. So, definitely, it is not environment-specific.

Those domains need to be set up upfront. Once the settings are changed, we can see afterwards when the problem starts. Because I don't know what all I should set up there. I can't afford to spend 8-16 hours of working time to set up an exact copy. However, I provided debug information from which you know what settings I have set up.

April 13, 2023 at 12:33 pm #13464809

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

sure, so to clear things up, if it is a WPML bug it can be reproduced on a clean install and that is what I am trying to check here.

If the issue is happening only with your website/environment then it is a specific issue and we need to check further to know what is wrong.

So in order to proceed further we need to have a way to check the issue:

- reproduce on a clean setup
- a copy of the website or test site where the issue happens.

Let me know what the steps are or if you are able to provide a copy of the test site, you can exclude data from DB / plugins/ media and not need info to keep it minimal.

I am afraid without one of the above-mentioned we do not have enough to continue or check the issue.

Regards,
Drazen

April 13, 2023 at 1:02 pm #13465179

qualityU

I sent you everything so you can reproduce it, so feel free to debug. I'm really not going to spend more than one working day reproducing it, and I don't want to end up that you are not getting it fixed as has happened multiple times in the past.

You know everything about my installation from the provided debug data. Others, you only need to create an EN post and translate it into any other language, since it is happening in each language. Probably you need to have a multidomain, maybe a custom post type...

April 13, 2023 at 1:19 pm #13465293

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back.

I have tried to reproduce it with multiple domains and CPTs but seems to work fine.

I suggest you take your time, check how you will be able to provide a copy or try to reproduce a case in a new test install.

If not, there is not much more I can do from my side here.

We would be glad to help and check further, but I am afraid without a practical example case we can not provide proper help.

Kind regards,
Drazen

April 13, 2023 at 1:46 pm #13465475

qualityU

We made the decision to make a fork of WPML and we will fix it internally since it takes less time than to provide a copy of the website. So for us, you can consider the issue as resolved. For any other users who have the same problem, consider the problem as not existing.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.