Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Can't translate the options of the select fields.

Solution:
The Solution is described properly in this response: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/job-too-large-for-ate/#post-13503139

Select the Return Format for the Select field as "Label" instead of value which will help.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by izabelA 1 year ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
April 17, 2023 at 1:45 pm #13488355

izabelA

Hello.

We have 24 ACF field groups, and most of them have fields as select dropdowns. All groups are set as "Same fields across languages".

When we change the language, the field names are translated, but not their options.

In order to translate the options, as far as I understand, we have to add those fields to a product, and then we can translate the options of the select fields.

However, adding all fields to a product and trying to translate via ATE, we get an error:

```
Cannot load content for translation
The Advanced Translation Editor could not process this content (Failed to parse because your job is above file limit of 1MB). If you keep seeing this error, please contact our support team.
```

In this case, is there another way to translate the options in bulk or do I just have to add a small batch of fields, translate and then add another?

April 18, 2023 at 7:06 am #13493025

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for reaching out to us. I will try my best to assist you in this matter.

I understood the issue you're having while trying to translate a product that contains ACF fields. You can either translate the select field values from the ATE, by assigning the fields to a post or by searching the values from the String Translation page.

Now, let me focus on the error you're getting while translating the Product and try to provide a probable solution. Would you please try following the steps mentioned below and check if that is fixing the issue?

- Cancel the Translation job of that specific product. Please follow this documentation for a better understanding: https://wpml.org/faq/translation-status-stuck-or-displaying-the-error-wpml-didnt-manage-to-translate-this-page/
- Now, make a small change in that product and save.
- Navigate to WPML > Translation Management and find the product.
- Add the product to the translation basket and send it for Translation.
- Navigate to WPML > Translations and try completing the translation using ATE.

I hope it will help. But, feel free to let me know if you need further assistance in this matter. I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

April 18, 2023 at 8:54 am #13493957

izabelA

1. We have ACF field group
2. The group is set as "Same fields across languages"
3. The group has from 2 to 30 fields where all fields are "select dropdown"
4. Both field's names AND their options are already translated via String translation

However, on the front end, the field name is translated, but the option IS NOT.

After some looking at other topics, I saw that the options for SELECT type ACF fields cannot be translated via String translation, but has to be added to a product and translated via ATE.

The workaround mentioned by you did the job, but still only for text ann checkbox fields.

We need to translate the SELECT options.

April 19, 2023 at 8:58 am #13503139

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,

I completely understood what you're trying to achieve. I tried to replicate the issue in my environment by following the steps you shared in your last response and seems the Select field choice is appearing translated in other languages.

You can check this product for a better understanding: hidden link
(On the description section, you'll find a text named "Package:". the value for Package is inserted through the ACF field. Please check by switching to the German language.)

Maybe due to any misconfiguration in the custom field is causing the issue on your end. Would you please check by making the following adjustments:

- First of all, make sure that the ACF plugin is updated to its latest version.
- Now, Navigate to "WPML > Settings" and Scroll down to "Custom Field Translation".
- Search for the Select fields and if you found them, make sure that the Translation preference for the field is set as "Copy"
- After that, Scroll down to the "Post type Translation" and make sure that the (acf-field-group) is set as "Not Translatable"
- Now, navigate to "ACF > Field Groups" and open the Field group that consists of the Select Fields.
- Click on the Select field and make sure that the "Choices" and "Return Format" is configured according to this screenshot(hidden link) and save the changes.
- Now, make a small change to the Product and save it.
- If you see the translation update icon after saving the product, then complete the update by clicking on the icon.

Hopefully, the Choice will appear translated right after. But, if you need further assistance in this matter, feel free to let me know. I will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.