Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.47 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 6:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 6:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 6:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 15:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 15:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 15:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nicolas Viallet 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nicolas Viallet.

Author Posts
November 5, 2022 at 10:08 am #12388509

dfumagalli

I am trying to: Upgrade WPML before WordPress 6.1, as per your newsletter instructions.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: The WPML "Commercial" plugins tab in WP Admin.

I expected to see: The various component to match the new version available, that is 4.5.12.

Instead, I got: Nothing happens. As you can see in the screenshot, WPML found newer versions, yet it keeps re-downloading and re-activating (see "updated and activated" labels) the same old version (4.5.10) again and again.

In a past ticket, I got told to download manually everything again.

But is it admissible that I have to take down my website every time? Why can't the upgrade be made less convoluted and made to just work?
It's now 2-3 *years* I have this issue.

2022-11-05_001.png
November 5, 2022 at 11:59 am #12388903

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. My name is Nicolas and I will be happy to help you today.

Let's start by fixing the issue specific to WP 6.1 and then we can investigate why you're always having issues when updating WPML.

1. On Monday we released a newsletter and a blog post announcing that WordPress 6.1 introduces critical, breaking issues with WPML and String Translation and we released new versions (WPML 4.5.12 and String Translation 3.2.3) to address this issue:
https://wpml.org/changelog/2022/10/wpml-4-5-12-updates-for-wordpress-6-1/

To restore your sites as soon as possible, download our plugins directly from your WPML account:
Version 4.5.12 https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog
Version 3.2.3 https://wpml.org/download/wpml-string-translation/?section=changelog

Then install these versions manually, either through your WP dashboard (if possible) or through FTP (or Cpanel): hidden link

2. I'm sorry to hear that you have a bad experience every time you try to update WPML. Let's look into it.
As we saw in point #1 if you're having difficulties to update your plugins from the dashboard you can manually download all our plugins in your WPML account.
- Go to https://wpml.org/account/downloads/
- Click on "Download WPML manually" to see all plugins and download them
- In your WP dashboard, go to "Plugins > Add new" and use the button at the top of your screen to upload the .zip file

Also, could you please give me more details? Is it always the same issue? Do you have an error message such as "The Link You Followed Has Expired"?
I'm asking because I've noticed that your max upload limit is 12M and WPML is 12.2M, so if you try to upload a plugin that is larger than the 12M limit, you will receive this error message.
Here is an good article from Math Rank that should help you solve that issue (if that's the issue you're having): hidden link

Nico

November 6, 2022 at 3:14 am #12390787

dfumagalli

Hello Nicolas,

I have upped the PHP constraints to fairly larger values:

upload_max_filesize = 48M
post_max_size = 96M
memory_limit = 256M
max_input_vars = 60000
suhosin.post.max_vars = 60000
suhosin.request.max_vars = 60000

However the issue persists. No error no warning is ever shown.

I know I can download the plugins, but I'd rather use my WordPress dashboard to do so. I am usually travelling and I am only bringing around a tablet. I'd prefer to not have to do the whole procedure on such a device.

November 8, 2022 at 1:05 pm #12410267

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Hello,

Thanks for looking into PHP constraints.

Could you please provide me with a temporary admin access (wp-admin) to a staging copy of your site where the issue has been replicated – so I can further investigate. I will activate a private field for your next answer where you can provide that information safely (this field is only visible by you and the support team). Don't share your own admin account, create a new one that you will delete when we finish troubleshooting.

IMPORTANT: Before we proceed, please backup your site and database.

It has to be a staging copy because I need to reproduce the issue and for that I will have to downgrade WPML and its add-ons to previous versions and try to update them from the dashboard.

Nico

November 13, 2022 at 5:10 pm #12448713

dfumagalli

Hello Nicolas,

at the moment I don't have the time to create a duplicate of the website. I'll try activating the WP errors display and log and see if something comes up when I try the update. I'll post here what I find.

You might wonder why I am so mild with the urgency of a solution.
I am a WPML founder and have unlimited licenses that never expire... however I am not deploying new WPML websites because I have lost faith in the product.

It's always been *WAY* slow. WPML manages to be well slower than WooCommerce, which is a true slow dog of a plugin itself.
On the same hosting, all other websites load in under 2 seconds, if I add WPML it easily takes 4 seconds and nobody (Google SEO included) loves it any more.

The dysfunctional updates are just icing on the cake.

November 15, 2022 at 2:38 pm #12464435

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Hello,

I understand. I will leave that ticket open for 14 days waiting for your feedback.

Please let me know if you find something in WP_DEBUG.

Nico

The topic ‘[Closed] Upgrading WPML is *ALWAYS* a terrible nightmare. Always have to download by hand’ is closed to new replies.