Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.92 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 -
- 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 59 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 22, 2022 at 8:44 am #11717413

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Oh - that seems to be "key" for your issue. We don't have any more suggestions.

July 22, 2022 at 9:36 am #11717765

Javier

Please do let tier 2 do their research because in any case, we have products that take hours (the timeout is not the reason they do not complete) sometimes 24h, others need to be refreshed and then saved again, several times, for hours, we have succeeded in finally getting the 948 variations saved into each language (I know, I know, that amount of variations is huge). Thanks

July 22, 2022 at 10:07 am #11717971

Yvette
Supporter

As I mentioned before, you case has been escalated by 2nd tier to developers. We can only provide workarounds while we wait for them to schedule and do their thing.

July 22, 2022 at 10:41 am #11718419

Javier

Wonderful thanks Yvette, have a wonderful weekend

July 29, 2022 at 9:44 am #11765391

Javier

Hello, we have a case at this moment that could be used to investigate the issue. Please let us know how and when we can prepare a site migration via Cloudways to send you a copy of our site. Thanks.

August 1, 2022 at 5:18 pm #11779299

Yvette
Supporter

I am not so sure that this will help or speed up any work on our end. I have forwarded your comment to 2nd tier and I will wait for their feedback and let you know.

August 2, 2022 at 2:03 pm #11786425

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I have the following feedback:

We think in general it is not a good idea to have a variable product with that many variations as it will fail on low specs hostings even without WPML.

Perhaps, if this is not a downloadable product, we could suggest to go to \WCML_Products::is_downloadable_product in wp-content/plugins/woocommerce-multilingual/inc/class-wcml-products.php and change the method to:

public function is_downloadable_product( $product ) {
return false;

Which might speed a tiny bit things up.

But having another example is not really going to help us. We know where the deficits in the logic for these cases lie.

I am setting this to Escalated again and we need to wait (and I don't know for how long) for a resolution from the development team. I need to remind you that this may not be resolved for a long time and you should look for other possible solutions. (e.g. have products with less variations)

Or, if you think this is specifically due to WPML, try creating these products without the WPML plugin active (one for each version) and then manually assign language codes and connect them as translations of each other....I have not tested this to see how much of a gain you will get with your issue but it's a just a thought.

September 8, 2022 at 2:03 pm #12014741

Javier

Hello Yvette, I trust you are doing well.

Thank you for the suggestions, as the escalation is not in action, I was thinking of this proposal of yours:
"Or, if you think this is specifically due to WPML, try creating these products without the WPML plugin active (one for each version) and then manually assign language codes and connect them as translations of each other....I have not tested this to see how much of a gain you will get with your issue but it's a just a thought."

How may I connect one product as a translation of another as you suggest? And in any case, how would I connect each variation with the translated variations? If I have to do that one by one, it would never work as a time-saver.

Thanks for your help

September 9, 2022 at 11:11 am #12021591

Yvette
Supporter

I just tested this and you are correct. It would be too complex.
= (

September 15, 2022 at 10:41 am #12058579

Javier

Absolutely, so, waiting for a solution from your 2nd tier team. Thank you

December 29, 2022 at 11:33 am #12728065

Javier

Hello Yvette, I trust you are doing fine.
Could you please update me on this issue as it has been almost three months now since it was going to be escalated? This limitation by WPML is seriously hindering our ability to list products.
We unfortunately need a large number of variations and cannot go around this by creating multiple versions of the same product.
It is vital we have this ability to create many variations asap.
Thank you.
Best Regards,

Javier Petrement

January 5, 2023 at 11:04 am #12757533

Yvette
Supporter

I'm sorry but there is still no update to report to you. I have added a comment to the escalated ticket that you wrote in for a status update.

January 16, 2023 at 3:33 pm #12827827

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

There seems to be the feeling that this issue has been resolved from WCML 5.1.0 onwards. The current WCML release is 5.1.2

If you are at the relevant release level, can you please confirm to me if you are able to update this large variable product or not?

Thank you very much.

January 16, 2023 at 6:53 pm #12829263

Javier

Hello Yvette, that is extremely exciting and hopeful for us, you cannot imagine as we are literally stuck due to this issue.
I will update everything tomorrow and try to see if there is any difference.
Which way would you advise me to go about updating products that don't have the same variations in English (original language) and the secondary languages?
Should I go to a secondary language and delete all variations (if that is possible) and then update the product again or do you have a better way of testing your new release in regards to this issue?
Thank you very much for your support and follow-up.
Best Regards,

Javier

January 17, 2023 at 7:56 am #12831373

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

You wrote: "I will update everything tomorrow and try to see if there is any difference.
Which way would you advise me to go about updating products that don't have the same variations in English (original language) and the secondary languages?"

I would please focus only on the variable product that takes a long time to save. Don't do "everything".

I would also approach this task with a critical eye and attitude. Hope it will work but assume it will not.

For this reason, I would do the following FOR THIS ONE PRODUCT:

1. Make a backup of the product/system so that in case the behaviour is not what you need/expect, you can restore the state easily.

2. Then, I would try to simulate the normal way you would be updating your product. Was this original issue happening because you were updating pricing info or stock or....? Was this done online or via an import? Was it a fresh translation?

Do all the normal things you would do but limit it to this large variable product.

Then please write back to let us know what happens.
Thank you for your patience and willingness to retry this.

The topic ‘[Closed] variable product takes a long time to save’ is closed to new replies.