Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.84 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by oliverB-50 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
May 29, 2022 at 12:45 pm #11336789

oliverB-50

Tell us what you are trying to do?
-> to translate the images

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/?utm_source=plugin&utm_medium=gui&utm_campaign=wpmlcore

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

May 29, 2022 at 10:42 pm #11338295

Mohamed Sayed

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for contacting WPML support.

Could you please tell me which images are having this issue? and how it was added to the page?

I found multiple images added as CSS background images, for those ones it's expected that it won't be translated because WPML can translate the content added with PHP but not CSS.

Regards,
Mohamed

May 30, 2022 at 10:21 am #11341997

oliverB-50

Hi Mohamed, thank you for your answer! It's regarding the SVG images such as the one attached to this message, found on hidden link. Same for .PNG images. Essentially I can't change ANY of the images on the website for the English version.

Within the advanced editor I can't find any images to add. Maybe you can hint me where to look exactly, or what settings to change. So far I followed the tutorial added above and that didn't work yet.

If it's easier for you I can also provide you with WP login data to take a look.

Best regards from Germany,

Oliver

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 12.19.14.png
May 30, 2022 at 7:42 pm #11347299

Mohamed Sayed

Hi Oliver,

WordPress does not support SVG files natively, so could you please tell me how the SVG files were uploaded?

Also, could you Please check if the issue persists in a minimal environment by following these steps:

- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Twenty-one.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

❌ Please backup your database and website before performing the above test ❌

May 30, 2022 at 8:10 pm #11347323

oliverB-50

Hi Mohamed, thank you for your answer. I tried that and it didn't change the desired thing. The media is not showing up under the media part.

The SVG files were uploaded through Elementor.

It would be super awesome if this could be solved before tomorrow midday. Then we could still launch the website on time 🙂

May 30, 2022 at 10:39 pm #11347735

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) so I can investigate this issue further.
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –

Your next answer will be private, which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website before providing us with access details ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme and to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Thanks for your cooperation

May 31, 2022 at 9:41 am #11351477

Mohamed Sayed

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for providing the access details.

I tested the media translation module and it works as expected, please check this page where I uploaded a PNG file hidden link then I translated it in WPML > Media translation.

I couldn't replicate the issue on my testing site with Elementor, the plugin shows the same error that the SVG file is not supported and can't be uploaded. But I see that you're using the "Extras for Elementor" addon which provides an "Inline SVG Widget".

Please note that the "Extras for Elementor" plugin is not listed on the WPML compatibility list for the plugins - https://wpml.org/plugin/. This means that our compatibility team has not tested it yet, so it could be a compatibility issue.

I suggest contacting the author and asking them to join our Go Global program so our compatibility team can work with them to make the plugin compatible with WPML. They can contact us with this link: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/go-global-program/

At the moment I suggest that you follow the steps below to translate the SVG files added with Elementor:

- Go to Pages > All Pages
- Edit the page with the WP Editor in the default language
- Use the language switcher in the top admin bar to switch to English
- Click the "Edit with Elementor" button
- Upload the English version of the SVG and save the page

The above steps allow you to replace the file manually using Elementor, and this could be the only way to translate those files since the plugin is not officially compatible and its files can't be detected with Media translation.

Regards,
Mohamed

Media translation.png
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.