Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.35 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
November 6, 2022 at 9:18 pm #12393557

tomasA-11

I am trying to: Translate a page

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
Swedish: hidden link
English: hidden link

I expected to see: The translated English text on: hidden link

Instead, I got: An empty page

November 9, 2022 at 7:08 am #12416629

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

Welcome to WPML Support. I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

Can you please explain in more detail how are you adding this content in the default language? And when you go to translate, what happens do you translate this content but it just doesn't show up on the fronted or nothing shows during translation?

Please share some images for better understanding.

Thanks,
Drazen

November 10, 2022 at 1:04 pm #12430007

tomasA-11

Hi, first I enter the content in the original language and saves the page, it works as expected. Then I translate using the wordpress editor. The page have som ACF-fields but those are also translated as far as I can understand (both the fields them selves and the content), this part of the WPML plugin is very hard to get a grip on... But anyway it would be a very strange way to design the plugin if some parts are not translated the whole page would go blank so there must be some kind of a bug here.

November 10, 2022 at 3:08 pm #12431783

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back.

Please make a backup before proceeding.

1) If you manually translating, make sure you have set the WPML translation editor to OFF. Image attached.

2) We recommend setting ACF groups as not translatable, I see you have set them as Translatable.

- https://wpml.org/errata/advanced-custom-fields-field-group-should-be-set-as-not-translatable/

- https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#translating-field-groups

Once you do, delete the extra "translated" Field groups.

3) Check ACF field settings and make sure the field has the correct settings, COPY and Translate depending on your needs.

- https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/recommended-custom-fields-translation-preferences-for-acf-and-wpml/

Once you check everything and make sure it is correct, please try to re-translate and let me know if you still have issues and if the content shows in the backend and frontend.

Thanks,
Drazen

41.jpg
November 13, 2022 at 7:00 pm #12449091

tomasA-11

1) If you manually translating, make sure you have set the WPML translation editor to OFF. Image attached.

Yes, we always do that.

2) We recommend setting ACF groups as not translatable, I see you have set them as Translatable.
Ok, done

Once you do, delete the extra "translated" Field groups.
How do I find those and delete them in a safe way? (not losing data), I have deactivated them until I feel 100% safe not losing data.

3) Check ACF field settings and make sure the field has the correct settings, COPY and Translate depending on your needs.
Ok done.

Now it's working better, thanks!
The ACF-fields seems to work, what you see on hidden link is the ACF-field data. I put in some dummy data to test.

But, the translated text in post_content is not visible.
This is strange, one could imagine that ACF-fileds would be problematic, but post_content should be one of the first things that works....

November 13, 2022 at 7:01 pm #12449097

tomasA-11

(obviously I found the extra field groups since I could deactivate the them) 🙂

November 14, 2022 at 6:44 am #12450703

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back.

Glad to hear it is working better now.

As for extra field groups, once you have them set to translatable, delete groups from all other languages then default, and then set them to not translatable.

You wont be losing any data, but you might need to update page in default language to sync.

Please make a backup before proceeding.

Let me know how it goes and if you still need my help.

Thanks,
Drazen

November 14, 2022 at 2:59 pm #12455723

tomasA-11

Thanks for your support 🙂

As for extra field groups, once you have them set to translatable, delete groups from all other languages then default, and then set them to not translatable.
Hi they where translatable..... I changed them to not translatable.
Then the duplicates from the languages showed up everywhere they where uses on post, but I disabled them.
It seems ok.

Now the translated post_content on the page: hidden link is working.

But we had som settings page in admin created with ACF for different kind of settings. Their data was lost... How come?

November 15, 2022 at 6:46 am #12459901

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back, glad to hear it helped.

As for the settings page, they should be there just maybe you need to re-save them or reset fields for them again. Or if it was created in a not recommended way ( translatable groups) could cause some issues.

I suggest checking the next documentation and if you still need help and want us to debug this issue with the settings page open a new ticket and we will be glad to help.

- https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/translating-the-acf-options-page-custom-fields-with-wpml/

Kind regards,
Drazen

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.