Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.29 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
July 29, 2023 at 8:27 pm #14121883

thomasV-73

Hello,

I deactivated WPML and all accessory plugins because it was causing speed issues. I already opened a ticket for it and 2nd tier is looking into it.

Problem I am facing now is, certain things on my site show in English, despite it being a Dutch site. An example will be on the product page, here is an example below:

hidden link

You will see things such as "choose an option" "add to cart" "SKU" "description" "additional information" all these things are in English, while before they were in Dutch. This looks really silly to people who visit my site. How can we fix this?

(right now I can't provide debug info because WPML is deactivated, if it's really necessary I can reactivate it.)

July 31, 2023 at 9:13 am #14125181

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

thanks for contacting us.

I understand your issue and see how it can cause issues for you, but I am afraid it is somehow expected. You have probably made translations for these string visa WPML String translations, and now if you are not using it (WPML disabled), then these translations are not being shown.

The best I can suggest is to manually check and add translation files for your theme / WooCommerce etc. or re-translate the strings via some 3rd party plugin. You can also try to export the translation from WPML and import it in that 3rd party plugin.

Please check the related info, that might help:
- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#import-export-po
- https://woocommerce.com/document/woocommerce-localization/
- https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/multi-currency-support-woocommerce/#configuring-currencies

If you can wait a bit more, I am sure our 2nd tier will make progress in your other ticket, so you do not need to translate your strings 2 times.

Regards,
Drazen

July 31, 2023 at 1:13 pm #14127655

thomasV-73

I think you are misinterpreting my problem

" You have probably made translations for these string visa WPML String translations, and now if you are not using it (WPML disabled), then these translations are not being shown."

Ofcourse, the translated strings are not shown, but that is not the problem. The problem is, things on my site in the default language (Dutch) are now showing in English. Below is the link to a product page so that you can see for yourself. You will see texts such as "choose an option" "add to cart" "SKU" "description" "additional information" all these tex
ts are in English, while they should be in Dutch. English is deactivated after all. Before deactivating (and also before I even had WPML installed), all these texts showed in Dutch like they should've.

hidden link

July 31, 2023 at 1:21 pm #14127727

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

are all of these texts are originally English in your theme / WooCommerce PHP files, and then are translated via some plugins or translations for other languages are loaded from plugin translation files.

This is a completely expected and normal situation if there are no translation files or translations are not added in some way.

I can not confirm if it worked before WPML or not, what I can do is suggest to you what is a regular way of how translation in WordPress works. So for your case, you should either:

- Translate strings from EN to Dutch OR
- Upload translations of theme/plugins/WooCommerce to their corresponding folder so these plugins can load translations in the correct language.

I have shared an example for WooCommerce in my previous reply, and for theme or any other plugins, you should check if they provide translation files.

I am afraid this is the best I can provide help on issues/translations not related to WPML products and when not using them.

Hope you understand.

regards,
Drazen

July 31, 2023 at 1:27 pm #14127837

thomasV-73

I found out the problem was that the default WordPress language changed to English from deactivating WPML. Shouldn't have happened, very strange.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.