Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
1) The client is experiencing a 404 error on the French version of their website when users click the "Place Order" button, despite having all WooCommerce pages and endpoints properly translated. The permalink structure seems incorrect, leading to an unexpected URL format.
2) Many elements of WooCommerce on the French version have reverted to English, even though they are properly translated in WPML's String Translation.

Solution:
For the permalink and endpoint issue:
- We recommend making a backup of the site.
- Then, try deleting the WP endpoints that are registered in French in the WooCommerce Multilingual settings.
- If the endpoints return, contact us so we can create a new issue.

For the WooCommerce translation issue:
- Since this is a separate problem, we advise opening a new support ticket or chat for dedicated assistance.

Please note that the solution provided might be outdated or not applicable to your case. We highly recommend checking the related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the issue persists, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 week, 6 days ago.

Assisted by: Lauren.

Author Posts
April 16, 2024 at 1:44 pm #15525848

estelleV

1) Endpoint Issue:
Upon clicking the "Place Order" button on the secondary language version (French) of our website, users are encountering a 404 error Customers and admin team still receive the WooCommerce emails of successful order. This issue does not occur on the original English version of the site. We have ruled out any problems with the payment gateway. All WooCommerce pages, including the store, cart, checkout, and my account, have been translated properly.
However, the permalink seems to be incorrect in French version, leading to URLs such as hidden link instead of the expected /fr/commande/commande-recue/... We suspect a problem with the permalink structure, endpoints, or WPML configuration.

Despite following several troubleshooting steps, including resaving permalinks, checking for redirection plugins, ensuring proper translation of WooCommerce store pages and endpoints, and addressing various issues through WPML's troubleshooting page, the problem persists.

As a temporary solution, we have adjusted the French translation of "order-received" (which used to be “commande-recue”) in WooCommerce Multilingual settings to match the website URL after an order is placed.

2) WooCommerce Translation Issue on French Version:
Suddenly, many elements of WooCommerce on the French version of our website have switched to English. This includes essential components such as :
Product page “add to cart” instead of “ajouter au panier”, “has been added to your cart.” “view cart”.
Checkout page : “street address”, “post code”, “town / city”, “product”, “subtotal”, “Already a customer ? Login”
Mini cart on header : “subtotal”, “view cart”, “checkout”
My account : other than the titles of sections (“Tableau de bord” (dashboard), “Commandes” (orders), “Téléchargements” (downloads), etc.) all of the content is in English (main language) instead of French (second language).
Despite having all strings properly translated in WPML's String Translation, these elements continue to appear in English.

We urgently require your assistance in resolving these issues as they are impacting the user experience and potentially affecting sales. Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

April 18, 2024 at 6:11 pm #15540556

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Please see my previous private reply and let me know once the migration is completed.

April 25, 2024 at 10:30 am #15564858

estelleV

Dear Lauren,

Thank you for your prompt response and for offering assistance with troubleshooting the issues we're experiencing on our website.

We appreciate your effort in creating a test server for us on Cloudways. However, we would prefer to conduct the debugging process directly on our live site to ensure accuracy.

We are currently in the process of preparing for the release of a new album, and we want to avoid any unnecessary risks or changes to our live environment at this time. Therefore, we kindly request to postpone the debugging process for approximately one week.

After the album release, we will be more than happy to provide you with access to our site for further investigation and debugging.

We hope you understand our situation and appreciate your flexibility in accommodating our request.

April 25, 2024 at 1:21 pm #15565897

Lauren
Supporter

Sure, that's no problem if you prefer to test on your site. Just let me know once you are able to run the tests so that we can check the results.

May 2, 2024 at 8:00 am #15585950

estelleV

Hello Lauren,

We are ready to run the tests on our live site. Could you please turn this chat private so that I can share access to the website?

Thank you!

May 2, 2024 at 1:33 pm #15587602

Lauren
Supporter

i have marked the next reply as private so that you can share credentials in the private fields.

May 4, 2024 at 11:48 am #15593402

Lauren
Supporter

Did you run the tests with minimal settings on your live site? I see that you sent credentials, but when I logged in, I can see that all plugins are still active and many are out of date. I need to know the results of the site with minimal settings, meaning only WPML up to date plugins active with WooCommerce plugin up to date and a default theme. If you want me to run the tests, please confirm here that I have permission to disable plugins/themes on your live site in order to run the tests.

May 7, 2024 at 9:23 am #15600655

estelleV

Dear Lauren,

Firstly, I'm pleased to inform you that after performing all plugin updates, our initial problem has been resolved. We greatly appreciate your assistance in guiding us through the troubleshooting process.

However, I have noticed a couple of lingering issues that I would like to address:

1) WPML String Translations:
In WPML > String translations > Domain: WP Endpoints, we still see strings appearing in both English (our primary site language) and French (our secondary language). Is this behaviour normal, or is there a step we may have missed in configuring our translation settings?
2) Language Mismatch on Checkout Page:
On our French checkout page, there is a mention that remains in English despite being translated. The phrase "Returning customer? Click here to login." is still in English. Could you please advise on how we can ensure that this text is correctly displayed in French?

Looking forward to your assistance on these matters.

Best regards,

Capture d’écran 2024-05-07 à 11.22.25.png
Capture d’écran 2024-05-07 à 11.22.04.png
May 7, 2024 at 7:53 pm #15603854

Lauren
Supporter

In my test site, I can see that the strings are registered in String Translation in the original default language. Also, in your screenshot, I can see that almost all of the endpoints registered in French don't have a translation. I would make a backup of the site and try deleting the wp endpoints that are registered in French.

If they return, let me know and I can split this ticket and make a new issue.

As for the issue with a missing translation, as this is a separate issue from the original item, please open up a new chat or ticket and we will be happy to take a look at it.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.