Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.09 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 1 year ago.

Assisted by: Alejandro.

Author Posts
April 21, 2023 at 11:38 am #13517647

gaborN-2

Hi,
I would like to be able to add `<b></b>` tags to my translations, while I don't have them in the original language. The site is built with Elementor.

I found this ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/bolding-text-in-translation-while-its-not-bold-in-original-content/

My issue is, that if I edit the translated page in the secondary language using Elementor, I loose the translation editor added texts, so I can't add styles with Elementor.

Is there a way to add `b` or `i` tags in the Advanced translation editor?

Thanks.

April 24, 2023 at 3:50 pm #13528683

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

A translation implies that the content will change but the structure won't so by default you can't "add" new html tags to the translation.

However i may have a wrkaround for this.

Imagine you have this text:

this is a test text

You can turn it into:

this is a test text<b>  </b>

this will actually put the html marker in the structure and will allow you to use it wherever you want in the translation, without actually using it in the original language.

Maybe this can help you achieve what you want?

try it out and let me know how it goes.

April 25, 2023 at 7:27 am #13531157

gaborN-2

Hi Alejandro,
I added the

</br>

and

<b></b>

tags to my content with elementor, saved the changes, and I saw the update icon for the translation on the dashboard. I clicked on it, opened the ATE, but there was no visible change, and the translation was set to 100%. Checking the string that I added the above tags to, there was no change either.

I then went back to elementor (default lang), and the </br> tag was removed, and the <b> tag was still there. So this doesn't seem to work for me. Could you please check whether it works for you?

April 26, 2023 at 3:33 pm #13542921

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

you're right, it can't be added at the end of a sentence or it will be copied as-is. instead add it in the middle of a sentence like this:

this is html content<b> </b>with a bold tag in the middle of a sentence

Note the space inside the bold tag. it will not be visible in the front-end but it will be picked up as a space in the translation editor, making it work.

I did this and it worked, as you can see here: hidden link

Regards.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.