Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is facing issues with translating products and using shipping classes in a WooCommerce site with three languages. They are unable to use the 'WP editor' as it defaults to the WPML Translation Editor, and they cannot duplicate products for translation. Additionally, there are complications with shipping classes, as WooCommerce only recognizes them in the default language, and the client is unsure how to disable translation for shipping classes.

Solution:
1. To address the translation editor issue, we recommend editing the original product and saving it. Then, open the WPML Translation Editor and complete the translation to 100%. This should ensure that the translated content appears on the frontend.
2. If the client does not wish to use the WPML Translation Editor and prefers to duplicate the products, they should check the settings to ensure that the option to duplicate content is enabled.
3. Regarding the shipping classes, the client should consult the documentation or support provided by the 'Advanced shipping' plugin creators for guidance on disabling translation for shipping classes.

Please note that this solution might be outdated or not applicable to your case. If the issue persists, we highly recommend checking related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
April 19, 2024 at 9:39 am #15542692

aukev-4

Hi,

I am getting stuck with the translation of products and use of shipping classes.
My site has 3 languages, when I first setup the products in Woocommerce I duplicated the products in the three languages and used the WP editor to edit these products.

However, now I want to translate more products but despite choosing the 'WP editor' it defaults to the WPML editor. I can't choose to duplicate the product either. I all screens that give me access to the translation, it defaults to the WPML editor. I had this problem before with pages, you then helped me out but the procedure you offered there does not work here.

Another issue is shipping classes. I am using advanced shipping and shipping classes, Woocommerce only works with shipping classes in the default language. I was advised by the creators of 'Advanced shipping' to turn off translation for the shipping classes, but can't see where to do this. In my translated products the shipping class can't be set.

It all seems quite messy to me, some help to get on the way would be much appreciated.

April 19, 2024 at 11:21 am #15543281

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the support.

Meanwhile this ticket is attended by one of my colleagues, when you open a product for editing and select the editor, WPML asks for your preference. Like you want it for this page or for all pages.

You can select "All pages" (or posts) to fix it for once and all - see attached.

Regards.

P.S.: For the other question, I recommend opening a separate ticket because as per forum policy we can only handle one issue per ticket. So you can get more to the point help, without mixing up several issues in one long ticket.

change translation editor.jpg
April 19, 2024 at 12:10 pm #15543524

aukev-4

Hi Waqas,

Thanks for your quick response. I have set this preference to be the WP editor, but it does not resolve the issue. I just tried it again, now I get a second copy of the product that is no longer linked to the original product, it also does not allow me to copy the content from the English version.

Another issue with all this is that the custom fields that I created don't get copied to the new product.

As I wrote before, there also is the issue of the shipping class that can't be set in these translated products when I manage to edit them with the WP editor.

April 20, 2024 at 10:18 am #15545811
aukev-4

Another piece of information:
The developer of Woocommerce Advance Shipping advised me to turn off the translation for shipping classes. That seems to solve the issue of shipping classes, however I now get the attached message.

Is there a problem with turning this off? If not, can this message (which is now permanently in my admin screen) be disabled?

New threads created by Andreas W. and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-issues-with-woocommerce-advance-shipping/

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-20 om 11.32.03.png
April 20, 2024 at 11:00 am #15545907

aukev-4

Here is an update on the problem with creating translations.
I have a product that is called "Personal change report". When I click on the gear icon, it takes me to the WPML editor, despite the wordpress editor being selected. See screen1. Then I select the WPML editor, after that I select the WP editor again. Now when I click on the gear it allows me to create a product that can be edited in Dutch. When I do this, and I copy the content of the English version, I get a product without the cost set, see screen2 (I changed the name to Dutch). Then I look at the frontend of my shop and see two products, the English version and the Dutch version, see screen3.

Please advise on how to get out of this mess.

Screen3 kopie.jpg
Screen2.png
Screen1.png
April 20, 2024 at 11:46 pm #15546552

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

The issue might be that there are translation jobs in progress that will need to be canceled.

Please open the affected products inside the WordPress Editor and choose "WPML Translation Editor".

Now go to WPML > Translation Management > Jobs, search for the jobs of your products, and cancel by clicking on the "x" on the right side of each row.

Finally, go back to one of your products on the WordPress Editor and now choose again the "WordPress Editor" as the translation method. A dialog will open in which I suggest that you choose to set this translation method for all products.

If you now open the translation, the WordPress Editor should open.

Here you can use the option "Copy from original" on the right side if you would like to copy the original content to the WordPress Editor. This will not create a duplicate and allow you to create your own translation.

If you would like to create a duplicate of the original product, you will need to use the option "Overwrite with original content".

Let me know if you have any further questions about this workflow.

Further, to copy custom fields you will need to use WPML > Settings > Custom Field translation, search for the filed, and set them to "Copy once".

Now when translating the product for the first time manually, the field will be copied once to the translation and then never again, so that your manual edits will not get overwritten.

For the second issue, about "Woocommerce Advance Shipping" I suggest we open a new ticket on which I will assist you further. I will create this ticket for you and reply there shortly.

Best regards
Andreas

April 22, 2024 at 7:05 pm #15552877

aukev-4

Thanks Andreas.

I did what you asked, although under the menu 'Translation management', submenu 'Jobs' there is no cross but a waste-bin to delete the job. I did this several times, the product keeps appearing and the product keeps appearing on my front-end.

In the product itself the translations are however not visible anymore. If I create a new one, the product is visible twice.

Kind regards,
Auke

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-22 om 20.08.45.png
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-22 om 20.08.32.png
April 23, 2024 at 5:04 pm #15557680

Andreas W.
Supporter

My apologies, indeed the symbol had changed.

Could you please open the original content on the WordPress Editor and verify if the right sidebar the "WPML Translation Editor" is enabled as a translation method?

If not, please set "WPML Translation Editor" as the method and cancel the job.

Now, refresh the page and verify if the job is canceled.

If so, switch the translation method for the content back to "WordPress Editor".

If this will not solve the issue, please let me know.

April 24, 2024 at 9:52 am #15559888

aukev-4

Hi Andreas,

I tried this, but it does not work.
Here is the video that shows what I am doing:
hidden link

Kind regards,
Auke

April 24, 2024 at 2:24 pm #15561152

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

I can see that the translation for this product is only completed to 10% on the WPML Translation Editor.

Only content that has been translated to 100% will show up on Frontend.

Did you already try to edit the original product, then save it again, open the WPML Translation Editor, and complete the translation to 100%? This usually should solve the issue.

Or do I understand wrong, and you do not wish to use the WPML Translation Editor?

Best regards
Andreas

April 24, 2024 at 3:28 pm #15561542

aukev-4

Thanks, this solves the problem.

aukev-4 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-04-24 15:28:10.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.