Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The user would like to complete a translation on the Advanced Translation Editor while leaving some segments/fields empty, as specific elements of the page should not appear on the translated content.

Solution:
The WPML Translation Editor can not complete a job if not all fields are completed. Its purpose is to provide the same content and layout in all languages.

If you try to achieve a different layout in different languages, then you should switch the translation method on the original content to "WordPress Editor".

IMPORTANT:
It is not advisable to use the WordPress Editor for editing translations if the WPML Translation Editor is the active translation method, as the WPML Translation Editor will not register those changes and overwrite them if you apply the translation again.

Relevant Documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.86 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
November 4, 2023 at 12:40 pm #14730865

istvanM

Hi, I'm just translating this site here: hidden link
Q1: In certain cases I need to leave some part of the text untranslated, but I can not find any idea on the ATE screen. What Should I do in these cases? Temporarily I put a colon on there, but this is certainly not the best solution (see attached screenshot)

Q2: Is it advised to make correction on the translated page using the page editor? (In my case this is Elementor). Or should I use always ATE when I want to adjust the translation? How the changes by page editor and the ATE are related to each other? What is the best practice?

Screen Shot 2023-11-04 at 13.38.40.png
November 4, 2023 at 4:22 pm #14731531

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

The WPML Translation Editor can not complete a job if not all fields are completed. Its purpose is to provide the same content and layout in all languages.

If you try to achieve a different layout in different languages, then you should switch the translation method on the original content to "WordPress Editor".

Guide:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

It is not advisable to use the WordPress Editor for editing translations if the WPML Translation Editor is the active translation method, as the WPML Translation Editor will not register those changes and overwrite them if you apply the translation again.

Best regards
Andreas

November 4, 2023 at 7:37 pm #14731883

istvanM

Thank you, it's clear now.

istvanM confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2023-11-04 19:37:23.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.