Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client needed a way to automatically translate menu links in WPML, especially for custom links, as manually translating many items across multiple languages was time-consuming.
Solution:
We explained that if the pages or taxonomies linked to the menu items are already translated, there is no need to translate the menu or links again. The links in the menu items will automatically adjust to the corresponding translations in other languages. However, for custom links in the menu, the only way to translate these is through the String Translation. We keep the automatic translation of custom links disabled by default to prevent potential issues. We recommended creating the menu by selecting pages or taxonomies instead of using custom links to ensure that the menu appears correctly translated in other languages without the need to individually translate the menu itself.

If the solution provided here does not apply to your case, or if it seems outdated, we highly recommend checking the related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to open a new support ticket. You can reach our support forum here.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 1 week, 6 days ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
April 15, 2024 at 1:46 pm #15520486

andreyK-12

Hello!

Can you please tell me how I can automatically translate menu links to String translation. The problem is that there are many languages and menu items too, it takes a long time to do it manually. And Translate Link Targets does not translate links to String.
Do you have any solutions? Maybe some scripts that can be used on the page?

April 16, 2024 at 6:06 am #15522340

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for contacting WPML Support.

I understand what you're looking for. If the pages or taxonomies linked to the menu items are already translated, it's not needed to translate the menu or links again, unless you want a different menu for each language. The links in the menu items will automatically adjust to the corresponding translations in other languages.

However, if you have custom links in the menu, the only way to translate these is through the String Translation. We keep the automatic translation of custom links disabled by default to prevent any important links from being translated automatically, which could lead to potential issues. I hope you can understand the matter.

If you plan to use the same menu across all languages, make sure to create the menu by selecting pages or taxonomies rather than using custom links (Screenshot: hidden link). This approach ensures that the menu appears correctly translated in other languages without the need to individually translate the menu itself, as the links will automatically adjust to the appropriate translations.

I hope I'm able to clarify things for you. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else if you need help with. I will be happy to assist.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

April 16, 2024 at 2:39 pm #15526527

andreyK-12

Htllo!
Ok, thank you!

andreyK-12 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-04-16 14:39:19.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.