Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Tirane (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marsel Nikolli 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Marsel Nikolli.

Author Posts
October 24, 2023 at 11:13 am #14646713

andreyK-12

I am trying to translate my website without creating a ton of unnecessary translated terms.

I turned off translation of "Translation priority" taxonomy in settings, but it is still translated automatically. When I added German language and translated a couple of pages, new terms in this taxonomy appeared. And they appeared not in German language, but next to English terms.

How to prevent this situation?

Screenshot 2023-10-24 141247.png
Screenshot 2023-10-24 140940.png
October 25, 2023 at 12:53 pm #14660797

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Tirane (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

1) Can you please check that the "Copy taxonomy to translation" checkbox is unchecked, to do so please:
- go to WPML-> Settings -> Posts and pages synchronization (section)
- un-check the checkbox next to "Copy taxonomy to translation" and save changes
*check the attached image

After try again and see if there is any new term showing up.

2) The new terms of the taxonomy appear in both languages next to each other, when you have set the default language or secondary language from the top language switcher on the wp-admin bar?

Looking forward to your reply,
Marsel

taxonomy-copy.PNG
October 25, 2023 at 1:12 pm #14661015

andreyK-12

I turned off the option that you mentioned, made a translation and again there is option in German mixed with English.

Answering your second question: in both scenarios. Check attached screenshots.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 161225.png
Screenshot 2023-10-25 161241.png
Screenshot 2023-10-25 161105.png
October 25, 2023 at 4:00 pm #14663071

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Thank you for the screenshots.

1) I would suggest:
- you check if any of the terms being translated are set to any page/post
- if there is please change it on the post/page
- delete the translation of the terms you don't want
- clear the cache of your website

After, check if the issue happens.

2) If the issue is still happening, I would require you to try to test if the issue happens in a staging/testing site with minimal setup, meaning:

- set a default WP Theme
- enable only WPML Plugins
- disable all other plugins

Note: Please make sure you have a full backup of your website if you want to test on a production site, in order to prevent any data loss.

Marsel

October 25, 2023 at 5:33 pm #14663715

andreyK-12

Here is the translated term, it is not assigned to any post/page.
I deleted it, and turned on translation for "Translation priority" taxonomy in WPML settings.

Now behavior is better, it just created a translation of taxonomy term "required" with slug "required-de". Now it does not act as a separate term, but acts as a translation of "required" term. Interesting that the term itself was not translated.

I believe that this is correct behavior of WPML, problem is that it will bloat database with dozens of unnecessary records. Every term of any involved taxonomy will be duplicated with new slug -de, -es, -it, -pt etc.

How can I avoid this?

Screenshot 2023-10-25 202941.png
Screenshot 2023-10-25 201520.png
October 26, 2023 at 9:49 am #14668857

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hi,

By default, when adding a new language to the website, only the statuses ("Required", "Not needed", "Optional") should be present, these statuses get translated based on the secondary languages you have on your website. Unless you need to add other terms to the "Translation priority" based on your translation workflow, no other terms should be created or appear.

Please refer to the documentation related to the "Translation priority":
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/adding-priority-to-your-translations/

When the translation for the "Translation priority" taxonomy in WPML settings is activated, it sets a status for the posts/pages, but this doesn't impact database performance.

While having the translation option on for the "Translation priority" taxonomy in WPML settings, please:
- go to WPLM -> Taxonomy translation
- on the dropdown of "Select the taxonomy to translate" select "Translation Priorities"
- check the list of terms that will show up if it is what you have in use on your website

Could you please try turning off the translation option for the "Translation priority" taxonomy in WPML settings and see if it still creates translations?

Marsel

October 26, 2023 at 11:57 am #14670145

andreyK-12

Okay, let's go step by step.
1. I understand what is translation priority for, and I use it. It's a necessary feature.
2. I did not create any other terms manually, standard terms set is enough for me.

What is the problem:
WPML is creating lots of unnecessary translations for taxonomies and their terms.

I do not want to translate slugs on my website.
So, if I have /category/news in English, for German I need /de/category/news

As for internal taxonomies (like aforementioned Translation priority), of course I do not need to translate them too. It makes absolutely no sense.

So, I turned off all taxonomies translations in WPML settings.

After that, when I send a page with Tanslation Priority set to Required, the "Required" term gets translated and is mixed with English terms of Translation Priority taxonomy. Note: I use automatic translation with Deepl.

I strongly think this is a bug in WPML and it must be fixed.
If taxonomy translation is turned off, it must not be translated in any case.

Next, there is workaround. If I set "Translation Priority" translation to "Translatable.
use translation if available or fallback to default language", then "Required" term is not translated automatically anymore. That's good.

BUT there is another problem: a duplicate of original term is created with the same name "Required", but with different slug. English is "required", German is "required-de".
I do not need this additional taxonomy term.

There are two problems with this approach:
1. It bloats DB with lots of terms with -de, -es, -it etc. additions at the end.
2. Slugs of translated versions are also spoiled.
Example:
Original address /category/news
German page which I need: /de/category/news
German page which WPML makes: /de/category-de/news-de

So, I suppose that correct configuration must be: All Taxonomies Translation are set to "Not translatable". Taxonomies, terms, slugs are not translated and not changed and not duplicated.

How do I achieve this?

October 26, 2023 at 4:30 pm #14672713

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for providing a detailed explanation of the issue you're facing. I truly appreciate your patience.

I would require you to try and recreate the issue on a testing site in order to further investigate the issue.

Use the link below to access the testing site:
hidden link (one-click login)

- WPML is already installed/activated, please configure it the same as on your website
- upload only the necessary plugins to recreate the issue (if needed)

You can also try these settings on the testing site and see if there is any change:

1) Avoid Slug Translation:

- Go to WPML > Settings
- Scroll down to the "Slug Translation" section. Check that the checkbox next to "Translate custom post and taxonomy base slugs (via WPML String Translation)". By turning this off, WPML will not translate the slugs, and they should remain consistent across languages.

2) Turn Off Taxonomy Translation:

- Still within WPML > Settings, navigate to the Taxonomies Translation section
- Set all the taxonomies that you don't want to be translated to "Not translatable"
This way, WPML won't prompt you or auto-translate these taxonomies.

Please let me know how it goes or if you need any help.

Marsel

October 26, 2023 at 5:13 pm #14672871

andreyK-12

Ha-ha, I entered the sandbox. I just turned off "Translation Priority" translation and I already get mixed German and English terms in the dropdown. I didn't even start translation.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 201210.png
October 26, 2023 at 5:25 pm #14672939

andreyK-12

I managed to reproduce the problem in the sandbox.

1.Turned off appropriate settings in WPML
2. I got German an English terms mixed in one dropdown
3. Deleted German Translation Priority Terms
4. Set Translation priority of test page to "Required"
5. Started translation via ATE
6. And here I get "Required" term in ATE.

Here is where the problem is coming from. Check the screenshots.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 202313.png
Screenshot 2023-10-26 202247.png
Screenshot 2023-10-26 202115.png
October 26, 2023 at 5:27 pm #14673057

andreyK-12

And here I have one more Translation priority term in the dropdown.
This is a critical issue, I can not proceed with site translation until this is fixed.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 202613.png
October 27, 2023 at 1:08 pm #14679483

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hi,

1) The behavior of taxonomy terms appearing in mixed languages at WPML -> Translation Management is expected. This occurs because when terms are created, they persist on the website and display in the main language even if the translation for "Taxonomy Priorities" is turned off. (You can manually delete any unnecessary terms.)

2) I attempted to reproduce the issue on the sandbox by following your steps but couldn't recreate it exactly. Here's what I did:

- Deleted the previously created term "Requiredqweqwe".
- Created a new test page and set its priority to "Required".
- Translated it to German (no priority term appeared on ATE for translation).
- The term "Requiredqweqwe" was created only once, despite multiple attempts to reproduce this issue.
- I subsequently deleted the term "Requiredqweqwe".

3) Then, I disabled the TaxoPress plugin to see if the issue persisted without it. I couldn't reproduce the issue without the plugin. Even after reactivating the plugin, the issue did not reappear.

Can you provide details on how you use the TaxoPress plugin on your website? Or there is a step I might have missed when trying to reproduce the issue?
It's possible that this issue is related to the TaxoPress plugin, and to address or escalate the problem properly, I'll need a better understanding of your use of the plugin.

I appreciate your patience, and I look forward to your response.
Marsel

October 27, 2023 at 4:47 pm #14681487

andreyK-12

I could not reproduce the problem anymore. But I posted the screenshot where "Required" taxonomy term is in the ATE. Why is it there? It is not supposed to be there.

Could you reset this sandbox, so that I will make all the actions on the fresh setup and record a video with the problem.

Second, you are asking about Taxopress, why I use it. Exactly for the reason in the first item of your answer: I clean trash after WPML.

Mixed English and non-English terms in one dropdown must never be in one dropdown. After I disable translation WPML must delete all unnecessary terms automatically, not me manually with Taxopress.

October 30, 2023 at 8:31 am #14688999

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hi,

I've set up a new fresh sandbox, please try to reproduce the issue without installing the TaxoPress plugin first, in order to better understand if the issue is created from the WPML or it is happening from the TaxoPress plugin.

Sandbox link: hidden link

* As I explained before, mixed terms being displaying the in the dropdown after having disabled the translation is normal behavior of WPML (is the same as when you disable WPML plugins completely, your translations will show mixed up on posts/pages).

You would need to delete the terms manually after disabling the translation for taxonomies.
That can be done without using any plugin on the wp-admin page: "/your-website/wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=translation_priority"

Let me know how it goes,
Marsel

October 30, 2023 at 8:42 am #14689087

andreyK-12

Dear Marsel,

Thank you, I'll record a video of reproducing the problem and come back.

As for WPML behavior. I understand what you say: it is WPML standard behavior. But I don't think it is correct. I think WPML must never mix translated and untranslated items in the dropdown. It make no sense. Instead of this, WMPL should delete all unnecessary terms and not make users do the monkey job.

The topic ‘[Closed] Translation priority taxonomy translated despite settings’ is closed to new replies.