Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 6:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 6:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 6:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 15:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 15:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 15:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nicolas Viallet 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Nicolas Viallet.

Author Posts
November 10, 2023 at 9:00 am #14773621

antartika-di-magnabosco-andreaA

Hi

I would like that when I change the image in a repeater inside of custom ACF block on a default language, that also on other languages image get updated.
I followed the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/ and set the translations preferences on "Copy".
I also did some troubleshooting where I deleted a translated page and created a new one by duplicating it from default language and then I changed an image in a repeater and the syncronisation worked.
Since I can't go and delete all translated pages and recreate them, I need your help to discover how can I make it work with existing translated pages?

November 13, 2023 at 1:10 pm #14789065

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. Before debugging the issue itself, let's start by updating WPML and its add-ons (such as String Translation) to their latest versions.
You can download all our plugins directly from your WPML account.
- Go to https://wpml.org/account/downloads/
- Click on "Download WPML manually" to see all plugins and download them
- In your WP dashboard, go to "Plugins > Add new" and use the button at the top of your screen to upload the .zip file

Now regarding the ACF issue, setting up translation preferences for each field can be tricky.
On that documentation you will find the recommended settings: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/recommended-custom-fields-translation-preferences-for-acf-and-wpml/

First of all, we need to know your translation method.
- If you are using our Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) you will have to follow the "Same fields accros languages" instructions. Repeater and image should be set as "COPY".
- If you are the native WordPress editor, then you will need to follow the "Different fields" instructions. Repeater and image should be set as "COPY ONCE".

I deleted a translated page and created a new one by duplicating it from default language

From your sentence above, if you duplicate a page, you have to use the WP editor (see: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/).
In that case you will need to configure the translation preferences to "Copy once" because you're not using our editor. Therefore WPML will ONLY copy all your fields at the moment you duplicate the page (copy "ONCE"). Then you will have to manually edit the translation every time there is a change. WPML editor is deactivated, and WPML won't be able to synchronize fields.

Another solution would be to use ATE to translate your content and set preferences to "COPY". In that case WPML will be able to synchronize your fields.

November 17, 2023 at 9:18 am #14832795

Hi Nicolas

I've read all the documentation you provided.

I think the problem is here: after I created pages in primary language, I created duplicates of them to create translated pages. So all my blocs with their content copied in translated pages. Then we had to change text, since it was in primary language and we did that manually.
Doing that manually we had to select "Translate independently" (see attached image) and as I can read in that documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/, this unsyncs the secondary language page so your design or translations won’t be overwritten when you update the default language page.
Now all my translated pages are ok, but every now and then we have to change some images. How can I have now, after all that is done, images synced, without overwriting the manually translated text? I have a staging environment set for all test and everything is updated there. If it could help I can also create a temporary user for you.

Thank you

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 10.09.17.png
November 17, 2023 at 4:14 pm #14864983

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answer. Unfortunately when you use the WordPress editor instead of our editor WPML is "deactivated" and therefore is not able to synchronize fields even if they're set as copy.
- That's why the recommandation is "Copy once". WPML will copy your field at the moment you create the translation/duplication but then won't be able to sync them.
- Duplication will keep your secondary language page in sync to keep your duplication as an exact copy of your primary language. But as soon as you click on "Translate independently" to translate the page, it will be like having a totally different page in secondary language that is associated with your primary language. As you mentioned already "your design or translations won’t be overwritten when you update the default language page". So any change you make on the original language, you will need to update the secondary language manually too. That's why we call it "Translating manually" and we recommend it only when you want to have different design or content. WPML editor will allows to translate the page but if you need to localize the translation (meaning a different content/layout) then you need to do it manually.

In short, that's a normal behavior for your workflow.
Now the question is: do you need to use duplication and translate manually? Is there any issue you encountered with our editor that made you switch to this method? I can surely help you to switch to our editor for your next pages and avoid this inconvenient. But for all pages translated that way, a manual edit expected.

November 20, 2023 at 9:11 am #14874251

At the beginning we didn't have an information on whether the translated page will be exact same copy of original or it will had to be different, therefore we did manual translation. Now we know that pages will be equal, therefore we would like to have them synced.
When you say "I can surely help you to switch to our editor for your next pages and avoid this inconvenient.", you refer to a newborn pages, right? And those existing, in order to have them synced should be recreated using a Advanced Translation Editor and never click on "Translate independently"? So if I understand correctly, what is done is done and it cannot be reverted without loosing translated content done manually? Thank you

November 20, 2023 at 4:43 pm #14879689

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Hello,

For the "newborn" pages, it's pretty straight forward. You can start from the beginning with our editor.

For the existing pages you will need to retranslate the page:
- Activate our editor for that page (in the right sidebar, section "Language")
- Retranslate the page in our editor
In that documentation you will find a table that explain clearly the different scenarios:
https://wpml.org/faq/why-arent-my-translations-showing/#switching-to-advanced-translation-editor
In short, you can switch from our editor to the WordPress editor but switching from the WordPress editor to our editor will require to retranslate the page.

Last point, just to clarify here the issue is not the "Translate independently" button, but the fact that the translation has been done in the WordPress editor. That's not exactly the same thing. In your case you had to click on that button because you duplicated the page first. But it would be the same if you started the translation in the WP editor from scratch (without duplicating the page first). The button is only here after a duplication to stop the synchronization and allow you to translate it.

The topic ‘[Closed] ACF WPML sync image in repeater across languages’ is closed to new replies.