Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Client has a two-site multisite install. The sites each have WPML activated individually because there was an issue with network-activating them. The subsite has the main site's activation key enabled, and the notice asking if they have moved or copied the site keeps appearing.

Solution:
To use WPML on a multisite, you need to install it register it to the network. You can then activate it on your individual subsites, and you will not need a new site key. All subsites use the same site key.

Relevant Documentation:
Installing WPML on a multisite setup

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 11.01 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Bigul.

Author Posts
September 29, 2022 at 7:33 am #12146481

jonathanS-28

When I view the Translation Management page it is blank and displays nothing but the nag asking whether the site has been moved or copied.

To clarify: this is on a two-site multisite install. The sites each have WPML activated individually because there was an issue with network-activating them. The subsite has the main site's activation key enabled and I've not been able to switch that to its own key even though one exists in the WPML account dashboard. Should I remove the key from both sites and try to add them individually back?

September 29, 2022 at 8:07 am #12146723

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

Normally the subsite will use the same site key as the network site. So we don't have to use a different key for each subsite. So have you migrated the site recently or changed the site URL?

As a workaround, you can consider the following steps. But please take a mandatory full backup before this.

1) Unregister the WPML Site Key from Network Dashboard
2) Install the OTGS Installer plugin
3) Register the site key for the main site from Dashboard>>Settings>>Installer
4) Create a new site key for hidden link
5) Register the site key from Dashboard>>Settings>>Installer

Please refer to this ticket for more details - https://wpml.org/forums/topic/changing-registration-key-on-multisite/#post-8495483

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 29, 2022 at 4:50 pm #12151957

jonathanS-28

Hi Bigul,
Thank you. I have never migrated the site or changed the URL since I first set up this network and have had numerous problems with the install. I'm happy to follow your directions and report back. It sounds like you do want me to have two different keys even though that's normally not done.

September 29, 2022 at 4:59 pm #12151999

jonathanS-28

I do not see a way to unregister the WPML Site Key from the Network Dashboard. The only reference in the Network Dashboard to WPML is the WPML sidebar panel link, and in that link I only have the option to Reset. When I click that I am told that all translations will be lost if I reset. That doesn't sound like what you mean. Can you direct me to where I can unregister the key? Also, am I activating the OTGS Installer on each subsite or network-wide? I assume you mean on each subsite so I can use two different keys?

September 30, 2022 at 12:20 pm #12156677

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I have discussed this again with our developers. We have a suggestion. Please try the following steps after a full site backup{mandatory}. Then make sure you are getting the expected results in the subsite or not.

1) Log in to the subsite
2) Visit WPML>>Translation Management Dashboard
3) Choose the *This is a copy of my original site* option
4) Click on the Save button

This will help us to separate the child site from the main site and we will not lose the existing translations also.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 30, 2022 at 8:11 pm #12159007

jonathanS-28

I have just completed this action and I'll note that it is the millionth time I have done so. The nag about whether the site has been moved or copied is an ongoing thorn and I've been told in the past that it's a bug in WPML. Please advise on next steps.

While I appreciate your help I am shocked at how glitchy WPML is and am dismayed at the ongoing problems I'm having.

September 30, 2022 at 8:16 pm #12159079

jonathanS-28

I still don't see a way to unregister a site in the network panel of WPML but now that I've chosen the site is a copy I do see the Translation Management page loading where it did not before. What should I do from here?

October 3, 2022 at 8:05 am #12168115

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. Please try the following steps after a full site backup and make sure is there any difference in the result.

1) Visit hidden link
2) Unregister the site key
3) Visit WPML.org>>My Accounts>>Sites - https://wpml.org/account/sites/
4) Delete the existing site key
5) Then create a new subscription key for the site
6) Visit the Site Dashboard and go to Plugins>>Add New>>Commercial - hidden link
7) Register with the new site key and refresh the page

If the issue exists, please allow me to make a duplicator copy of your site using the Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server. So we can troubleshoot the issue without affecting your live site.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

2022-10-03_13-34-07.png
October 5, 2022 at 7:46 pm #12188505

jonathanS-28

Bigul,
I'm just reviewing our chat thread and want to confirm whether to follow your directions from reply #12146723 where you indicated I should install the OTGS Installer plugin and then register WPML using two site keys, one for each site; or if I should follow the directions in your most recent reply where it sounds like I'm supposed to use a single site key for the whole installation. Since WPML is activated on the two sites individually and not network-wide should I follow the former directions and use two site keys?

October 6, 2022 at 6:54 am #12190675

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Normally in WordPress Multisite environment we only need to register the WPML site key with the main site. So for tracking this please try the steps suggested here - https://wpml.org/forums/topic/activate-wpml-site-key-in-a-multisite/#post-12168115

--
Thanks!

Bigul

October 11, 2022 at 5:20 pm #12222511

jonathanS-28

Bigul,
Thanks for all the advice. I followed the directions you provided and at first glance the issue seems like it may have been resolved. I did have to reset the choice on the main site back to automatic translation of all content since it had defaulted to only some. The subsite where the original issue was retained the setting to only translate some and some of the mystery pages that were previously translated wrongly seem to have gone. Can we keep this ticket open for a while so I can track the situation and report anything that might come up?

October 12, 2022 at 7:15 am #12224867

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Happy to know you are getting the expected results now. Take your time. We will wait for your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.