Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was encountering a fatal error when trying to open the WPML/Languages menu item in their WordPress site. The error message indicated a call to an undefined function 'wpml_tm_load_tp_networking()'.
Solution:
We recommended the client to manually download and reinstall the 'WPML Multilingual CMS' plugin from the WPML account downloads section. Despite reinstallation and cache clearing, the issue persisted. We then accessed the site with the client's permission to investigate further. After troubleshooting, we added a function to recreate any missing WPML tables in the database, which resolved the issue on the live site. We advised the client to apply the same workaround on the staging site and to deactivate and reactivate all plugins to ensure the cache was flushed.

If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If problems persist, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 week, 2 days ago.

Assisted by: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
June 14, 2024 at 11:42 am

Károly Farkas

Background of the issue:
I am trying to open WPML/Settings page. URL: hidden link

Symptoms:
PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function wpml_tm_load_tp_networking() in /home/sapvhu/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/translation-proxy/translationproxy-api.class.php:23

Questions:
Why am I encountering a fatal error when trying to open the WPML/Settings page?
How can I resolve the 'Call to undefined function wpml_tm_load_tp_networking()' error?

June 14, 2024 at 12:31 pm
June 14, 2024 at 12:32 pm #15740090

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi there,
This is the forum ticket we will continue working on this issue

I have set your next answer private so you can share the access credentials to the staging site.

Looking forward to your message.

June 14, 2024 at 1:45 pm #15740328

Károly Farkas

Hi Carlos,

Since you moved the chat to thread, I was unable to "wake up" the site, so I could not clone the site to staging.
The server was restarted several times, and without any traffic on the site, the sql server receives 600000-700000 queries per 5 seconds. This is the pattern:

SELECT translation_id FROM wp_icl_translations WHERE element_type='tax_pa_meret' AND element_id=11316

element_type and element_id varies, but almost all the queries are like this.
Did you start any process, or cleared some cache maybe? It is important to know because if this is the case, we can expect it to finish some time and we just have to wait for it. If not, then something seriously messed up in the site and must be repaired onsite.

Thank you

June 14, 2024 at 2:15 pm #15740425

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I added a function to recreate any missing WPML table from the database and then removed it. Please double check that the function was removed from the functions.php file in the theme.

Other than that, I made no other changes because the site was too slow.

June 14, 2024 at 3:42 pm #15740806

Károly Farkas

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for the information. I disabled the function, and now the site is back.
I duplicated the site to a staging environment, which you can find at test.fishinda.com.
All the credentials are the same as I provided eariler. Please feel free to try anyting in the this site copy.
The first problem would be the fatal error, given by WPML/Languages menu item, and then the performance issue. They might be related, but if not, then I guess it's better if the performance topic goes to a different thread.

June 17, 2024 at 8:27 am #15743904

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
Thank you for creating the staging site.

I don't know exactly what is the issue on the staging site, but the issue on the live site is solved already. Can you confirm that the issue in the production site is solved?

June 17, 2024 at 9:19 am #15744171

Károly Farkas

Yes I confirm that I am able to access WPML / Languages admin page on production site, but still gives fatal error on staging site.
We changed nothing on either of the sites. Do you have any idea what could fix the issue on the production site?

June 17, 2024 at 9:31 am #15744307

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

After the workarounds we applied the issue must have been solved, but we were probably seeing an outdated cache version with the error. Once the cache was flushed the error disappeared.

June 17, 2024 at 10:20 am #15744581

Károly Farkas

Ok then I should just wait for the staging site to flush its cache? I tried various methods to clear the cache on the staging site, (deleted transients, purged cache, reinstalled wpml again) but the "Languages" page still gives fatal error. How can I solve this issue if happens again in the future without bothering you?

June 17, 2024 at 10:35 am #15744754

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

The issue won't appear again in the future because the problem in the database is solved. To solve the issue on the staging site you should apply the same workaround and then I recommend you to deactivate/activate all plugins to see if the cache memory is flushed.

June 17, 2024 at 1:10 pm #15745717

Károly Farkas

I tried to run the workaround function that you inserted formerly in theme functions, with every other plugin inactivated, but still no luck. However it has no importance right now, because the problem on the production site is solved, so I close this ticket as solved.
Thank you for your assistance.

June 18, 2024 at 6:36 pm #15750642

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.

Have an excellent day!

Károly Farkas confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-06-17 13:10:17.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.