Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing an issue where product categories were showing duplicate products in different languages, alternating between German (DE) and English (EN), despite not being new products and having worked correctly for many years.

Solution:
We identified that the issue might be due to a conflict with cache settings, specifically involving the Redis cache and the Breeze plugin with Varnish cache configured. We recommended the following steps:
1. Disable the Redis cache or configure it properly.
2. Disable the Varnish cache or configure it properly.
As a workaround, we suggested changing the Product Category slug for the German version from

ktm-250-exc

to

ktm-250-exc-de

and then clearing the caches to see if the issue persists.

If the solution provided here is not relevant to your case, because it might be outdated or not applicable, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the issue still exists, please open a new support ticket at our support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 40 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by zakW 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Bigul.

Author Posts
February 20, 2024 at 9:06 am #15321019

zakW

I am trying to:
Some of our product categories are showing duplicate products and those products are in different languages, alternating between German (DE) and English (EN)

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

English – hidden link
German – hidden link

I expected to see:

Not a mixture of different product languages

An example is the US translation which has all the products go to the US version of the products and are not duplicated:
hidden link

I have already tried the following:

- Cleared Varnish cache
- Fixed element_type collation
- Fix WPML table collation
- Fix terms count
- Synchronize post taxonomies
- I've already tried this suggestion to re-save the language URLs:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/twice-products-showing-in-the-shop-page-for-english-and-norwegian-translation/#post-12214333

- I've tried resaving the permalinks

Any further suggestions on how to fix this? As these are not new products, they were working fine for many years.

I have a login prepared for sharing.

CleanShot 2024-02-20 at 8.54.40.jpg
February 20, 2024 at 4:30 pm #15324094

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

Please try the following steps after a full site backup{mandatory} and make sure the issue exists or not.

1) Upgrade WooCommerce Multilingual & Multicurrency to the latest version(5.3.4)
2) Visit WooCommerce>>WooCommerce Multilingual & Multicurrency
3) Select *Product Categories* tab
4) Click on the Sync button on the bottom of the screen and wait until the process complete
5) Clear all types of caches

--
Thanks!

Bigul

February 21, 2024 at 12:45 pm #15327932

zakW

Hi Bigul,

I have followed the steps you outlined.

I can confirm the situation only got worse.

An aside: the Sync button did not seem to show, for some reason it had a 'display:none' style applied to it.

I did the sync, which seems to never show progress so I left it for 45 minutes and refreshed the affected page example.

For the English page it showed no products.

For German it showed products without a mixture of EN and DE.

I cleared the cache, nothing would make the EN products show.

I tried the Product Category sync again, that did not seem to restore the products.

I had to use the 'Synchronize post taxonomies' in the Troubleshooter, which if anything, made the situation worse, it showed fewer products in many other categories.

I have had to restore the from the backup.

I think in short the suggestion is not a proper solution.

May I please send you a login?

2024-02-21 10.06.39 am.gif
February 21, 2024 at 2:39 pm #15328783

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. In normal cases, Sync Product Categories will help to resolve issues like this. Have you made any major changes in the website recently like migration from one server to another?

One request. Please share with us the WordPress debug.log(not WPML debug information) to collect more details on this. Refer to these pages for instructions

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

https://wordpress.org/documentation/article/debugging-in-wordpress/

To enable the WordPress Debug log, open your wp-config.php file of site root and look for define('WP_DEBUG', false);. Change it to:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

In this case, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the */wp-content/* directory. Please do the steps to reproduce the bug and check if you are getting any errors or warnings related to WPML in the log file.

If you can paste your debug.log to http://pastebin.com/index.php and provide me that link it would be great! (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess of discussion).

--
Thanks!

Bigul

February 26, 2024 at 10:09 am #15343371

zakW

I will sort out time to do that this evening, please bare with me

February 26, 2024 at 4:32 pm #15345449

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. No problems. Take your time. We will wait for your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

February 28, 2024 at 12:46 pm #15353941

zakW

Hi Bigul,

So we tried the steps that you mentioned above on a staging site and we can't replicate the initial problem reported in order to send you any debug logs.

We then created a new clone of the website and the problem was not showing on the copied version either so we then pushed the database of the cloned version to the live website and this didn't fix it.

The problem is only on the live website.

Does this help in any way to see/understand what is happening?

Kind Regards

February 28, 2024 at 3:52 pm #15354878

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. This looks like a strange issue. Do you have any server-side cache settings?

Just to make sure, have you recently migrated from the staging site to the live site?

Please try the following troubleshooting steps after a full site backup{mandatory} and make sure the issue exists or not.

1) Deactivate all the WPML plugins
2) Activate WPML Core plugin, then the add-ons one by one
3) Go to WPML>>Support page, click on the Troubleshooting link (blue link in the middle of the page)
4) On the Troubleshooting page, please click on the following options in the *Clean up* section. Wait for confirmation of processing after each one.

- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information
- Fix WPML tables collation
- Assign translation status to duplicated content
- Fix terms count
- Fix post type assignment
- Cleanup and optimize string tables

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 1, 2024 at 5:50 pm #15364436

zakW

> Just to make sure, have you recently migrated from the staging site to the live site?
No, it's been a live site for around 3 years.

I will schedule maintenance time with the client for next week.

March 3, 2024 at 8:30 am #15366427

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the confirmation. We will wait for your feedback. Take your time.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 4, 2024 at 8:39 am #15368052

zakW

Just a reply, since a weekend has past, to prevent autoclosing the ticket.

Awaiting client reply to advise when we are authorised to put the site in maintenance.

March 5, 2024 at 1:33 pm #15374738

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. While doing WPML Troubleshooting steps, please try the *Synchronize posts taxonomies* option also. Refer to the attached image for more details.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

2024-03-05_19h01_03.png
March 6, 2024 at 11:55 am #15378850

zakW

Confirming we will be putting the client's site on maintenance tomorrow and will update you with the results

March 7, 2024 at 11:12 am #15383879

zakW

Hi Bigul,

I have completed the steps you mention above about disabling the plugins and activating them after and all the options you mention on the clean up section including "Synchronize posts taxonomies" like the screenshot, but this didnt fix the problem.

I created the debug log as well and there are no mentions of "wpml" on the record. I would send you a copy of it but there are too many lines inside it and pastebin stops working

What else can we do to try and fix this issue?

--
Thanks

March 7, 2024 at 1:58 pm #15384720

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. Can you please create a new staging site(a clone of a live site)? Because this requires further debugging. A staging/dev site will help us troubleshoot the bug without affecting the live site.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

zakW confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-03-28 09:29:47.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.