Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
May 19, 2023 at 1:16 pm #13679511

dosvisual.com

I am trying to: translate Avada Options (AO) in a consistent way (String translation or Avada Options panel in each language) without getting errors on the front end for>

1) portfolio post type slug (main CAT "pellicules" / ESP "peliculas" / ENG "films")
2) the top header content ( CAT "Del 8 al 18 de...")
3) the main logo (CAT "FIRE!! L´Amor tot...")

///////////////////
1) The slug is set in Avada options/Portfolio/General Portfolio.

At first I set the translations in the AO for each language. Conflicts*.
Last year a supporter told me that the right way to translate it was through String translation. I did it and it sometimes it works well for some time. But then..

---> If you change any setting in the AO, or just after translating pages and sometimes for unknown reasons (but clearly after using WPML in one or other way):

1.1) The URLs of the portfolios in the movies grid** (hidden link), link to an image instead of the corresponding portfolio page, or wrongly point to their ENG version. It sometimes happen on the ESP/ENG versions too.

**("The Grid" plugin is installed now but I got the same errors with Avada´s portfolio element, so it´s not the plugin)

1.2) 2) and 3) get reset.

CAT "Del 8 al 18 de juny 2023 • A l´Institut Francès i a Filmin"
ESP "Del 8 al 18 de junio 2023 • En el Instituto Francés y en Filmin"
ENG "June 8 - 18 2023 • Presential and at FILMIN"

They are translated in WPML strings. They do not display on the frontend.
So I had to enter the translations in AO for each language. This creates conflicts with 1).

Right now you´ll see it´s an "hybrid" as in AO the ESP version is in CAT but if I change it to ESP it creates conflict with 1). The ENG translation is set in AO in ENG and works fine on the front end.

To temporarily fix 1) I saved the AO having the "All languages" switcher selected (so far it´s the only way to fix it) with the main-CAT version of it. The file has been translated through Media Translation. Sometimes it displays correctly, but after doing the "fix", it doesn´t any more.

*FYI> this website is not new and I´ve been experiencing this for the last 2 years.
Every time my customer reported the error (quite often), I tried to fix it following these steps (sometimes they worked):
> Resave the portfolio slug in the Avada options (using the same term) and then erasing and retranslating it´s String translation
> this leads to the reset of the Top header and main logo translations, which even though they are translated through String translation they do not display on the frontend unless I enter it´s translations in the AO X@
> resaving the permalinks
> clearing WPML cache...
> running WPML troubleshooter

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link (Right now is "temporarily fixed" as explained above because it´s a live site with a big campaign running.) but it´s quite easy to recreate the problem, just by changin the logo and/or phrase in the AO translations.

I expected to: be able to translate AO in a simple way (either through String/media translation or for each language in the AO) and see the reight translations on the front end 🙂

Instead, I got: unstable display of translations on the Front end, portfolio links failing randomly and inconsistant way of translating

logo-translated-media-translation.png
top-header-ESP-frontend.png
top-header-ENG-frontend.png
top-header-ESP--avada-options.png
top-header-ENG-avada-options.png
top-header-CAT--avada-options.png
slug-translated-STRINGs.png
grid-portfolio-errors.png
ESP-slug-avada-options.png
ENG-slug-avada-options.png
CAT-slug-avada-options.png
May 22, 2023 at 6:57 am #13686545

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

I understand the issue: the portfolio slug is not working if you translate it for a specific language in the Avada settings and switch the language in the topbar menu. Then you have to change to "All languages" and it causes some following issues with other options.

It could be a compatibility issue between Avada and WPML, we will address that by reporting this to the compatibility team.

To be able to report the compatibility issues we need to replicate the issue on a clean installation. I created a clean installation of WordPress, WPML, and all necessary WPML add-ons. You can access the WordPress dashboard using the link below:
hidden link

Kindly follow the steps below:

- Install Avada theme.
- Try to replicate the issue.
- Then let me know the steps to replicate it.

This will help us to report the probable issue to the compatibility team and solve the possible problem faster.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

May 22, 2023 at 2:42 pm #13691853

dosvisual.com

Long, thanks for your reply and the sandbox site.

I´m sorry to say that it makes no sense that I do these tests, on one side because my website is not a clean installation and I cannot reproduce all the same settings.
Secondly, testing on clean installation should be your work, not of the customers!

I´ve already detailed the steps you need to follow to reproduce the bug, which is not PROBABLE but very REAL and also easily replicable.

You have my permission to clone the website, so you may allow the private answer so I can provide you with the login details.

Looking foward to your reply so this old bug can finally be fixed.
Thanks.

May 23, 2023 at 3:11 am #13694417

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I can replicate the issue with the translation archive portfolio page on the sandbox site when translating the option "Portfolio Slug" in Avada > Options > Portfolio.

I see there is a way to fix this issue, please go to WPML > Settings > Post Types translation > Translate the portfolio slug > Save changes.
And go to Settings > Permalinks > Re-save setting Post name. Please read more in the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-page-slugs/
❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌

For other Avada options, please translate them by switching to the second language with the switcher at the topbar, follow the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/using-wpml-with-the-avada-theme/#setting-theme-options

Please check this issue on the sandbox site and let me know if it helps.

Thanks

May 26, 2023 at 9:11 am #13721379

dosvisual.com

Hi Long
The slug was already translated on my website, I did that 2 years ago (and repeated it every time a supporter suggested it).

slug.png
May 26, 2023 at 9:24 am #13721593

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

So I think it is an issue on your site only. Can you please copy your site to a staging site and share the credentials (wp-admin and FTP)? I will take a closer look.
Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

You can use this plugin to create the backup: 
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
✙ I would need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme and to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Thanks

May 26, 2023 at 9:36 am #13721651

dosvisual.com

I already have a staging site* that I keep as online backup. I´ve been using it to recover the translations that the transition to ATE was reseting. So, ATE is not activated there. That (and the new content) is the only difference with the production site (same error was happening there when I duplicated it). Would that be useful?
If so, please activate the private answer so I can share the credentials with you.

*I also have a server backup of that staging site altogether with the production website.

Thanks!

May 26, 2023 at 10:00 am #13721987

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

It's ok to take a look at the staging site where the issue is replicated. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

✙ I would need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme and to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Thanks

May 29, 2023 at 3:00 am #13728735

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I've made a small change to the header content (a dash) in both Catalan and English language by going to Avada > Options > Header > Header Content > Phone Number For Contact Info > Save changes, but do not see any issue with the portfolio slug on the frontend.
Please check this screenshot hidden link

Can you please let me know how to replicate the issue on your staging site?

Thanks

June 1, 2023 at 8:56 am #13752009

dosvisual.com

Hi Long
Thanks for your tests.
Sometimes, even though it seems to be linked correctly, it redirects to an image file (if the error has been activated).

Regarding the error 1.2) On the staging site, I´ve made a slight change in AO > Custom CSS and with the switcher in "All languages" I saved the changes --> the header content has been reset for ESP and ENG.

Regarding 1.1) the portfolio pages are linking correctly so far, so in this case they have not been reset. (Which does not mean that it can´t happen at any moment, as in the live site).

June 1, 2023 at 9:15 am #13752199

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Regarding issue 1.2. I think it is expected behavior when the option is set to all languages. If you want to set the option for a specific language, please select the language in the switcher at the topbar. Please follow the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/using-wpml-with-the-avada-theme/#setting-theme-options

Regarding issue 1.1 with the portfolio slug and link, it's very hard to troubleshoot an issue if it is not replicable. Please let me know if you can replicate the issue on the staging site.

Thanks.

June 7, 2023 at 7:05 pm #13788817

dosvisual.com

Hi Long
Sorry for the delay in replying.

The link to the documentation you have sent (which I know by heart) does not contain useful information to solve these problems.

1.2__ So you say it is expected:
a) To translate the top menu+logo in different languages in the AO
b) To translate the custom CSS (same for all languages) in the main language and then copy paste it to the second languages
c) Use the same slug (CAT) for the portfolio post format in the 3 languages and translate it via string translation

Please read carefully, does it sound logical?

1.1__ I understand it´s difficult to solve if I can´t reproduce it. The bug´s behaviour is quite random. Sometimes it happens following certain steps, others not. This does not mean I do not have to deal with it too often.
Today my customer called me because the links to the translated portfolios were failing again (on the live site), out of the sudden. This time in the /es/program page. The activity that had happened in the back end during this week was updating some pages and creating a couple of posts, everything being translated with ATE.
So I recorded a video for you to see it with your own eyes and the weird steps I had to follow to fix it. I cannot tell you how it happened -that´s part of the problem too- which is not for me to solve, as you are the experts!

Please, kindly watch the videos on this link, make them private if possible> hidden link

You will see how the /es/program (ESP) page containing links to the portfolios was throwing a 404, you´ll be able to observe the links at the bottom, pointing at /avada_portfolio/. They´ve been working ok the last weeks, and now, out of the sudden, no. FYI I had not modified this page in the last days.

Hope this contributes in some way for you to figure out what is failing.
Thanks in advance

June 8, 2023 at 2:04 am #13789803

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

a, b) Follow the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/using-wpml-with-the-avada-theme/#setting-theme-options
Please translate other theme options by going to Avada > Options and switching the language with the language switcher at the topbar menu. Don't translate it in String Translation.

c) Translate the portfolio slug in WPML > Settings > Post Types translation section, as I mentioned above (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/conflict-with-avada-options-portfolio-slug-header-content-logo/#post-13694417)

1.1. Thanks, I understand the issue through your screen records. If the issue happens again, please create a full backup of your site, restore it on your staging site, or share the backup file with me. I will try to restore it on my local site to see how it goes.

Thanks

June 8, 2023 at 9:08 am #13791431

dosvisual.com

Hello

1.2 > a.b.c) As I already mentioned, that´s what I´ve been doing so far.

1.1> Why should I wait until the error happens again? I´ve already shown you what happens, do you still doubt there is a bug?
Are you sure you are willing to help on this? It seems to me we are looping and I keep on experiencing the bug once and again.

June 8, 2023 at 9:50 am #13791783

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I understand your situation now and I will be glad to help and do my best. But as you know, if the issue is not reproducible, it would be difficult for me to know what might be causing it and goes wrong. I need to debug the issue.

Please monitor the issue and let me know if any specific steps cause it or you can provide a copy of your site where the issue has happened, I can help to see what went wrong.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

The topic ‘[Closed] Conflict with Avada Options: portfolio slug – header content – logo’ is closed to new replies.