Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas.

Author Posts
February 21, 2023 at 10:47 am #13077947

pascalK-19

Hello,

we are using WPML fore a while and got around 1000 posts translated with WPML. At the moment oure configuration, is like domain.ch/en the base of the site is domain.ch with the German language.

Now we are facing some problems how google is indexing the page. They didn't use the right meta tag and also are using random content from the site and not whats in the meta description.

So we are thinking about change the domain structure to en.domain.ch for English content. domain.ch for German content. (now: site.ch/en/post to: en.site.ch/post)

How can we make sure that alle the "old" links are still pointing to the right post?
Do you have any workflow to change this or any recommendations why google isn indexing the page with the right meta tags?

February 21, 2023 at 2:57 pm #13080525

Andreas

Hello there

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to help you.

I am not sure about the problem with Google because I am not having the full picture. I can share with you just in case some guides we are having for better SEO results.

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/multilingual-seo/

Now about the domain per language

Setting up Language per domain is actually a 95% configured from your side and 5% from WPML.

Please read our guide here :

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/

You need to setup correctly all your domains and in the last step, you just define which domain is per language.

In our guide also there are some tests that you can do in order to ensure that you setup your domains.

In WPML there is also a validation but have in mind that if the other tests are working ok and the validation is not, then you can skip it and continue.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance. I'll gladly help you. 🙂

Regards,
Andreas

February 24, 2023 at 11:18 am #13107611

pascalK-19

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for your input, we will check again the WPML Multi Seo plugin if there is maybe something wrong configured. I will come back to you as soon as we finde out more.

The domain configuration is no problem. The main problem are the existing url, as I told you we have more than 2k posts with at the moment domain.ch/en/post for English pages and domain.ch/post for German. Now when we like to change the domain structure, the new domain will not be the problem it think WPML can handle this. The problems are the old urls that are in googlenews, social networks, urlshorter and other external pages. Is there any way that you recommend how to redirect them or how we make sure we are not creating endless 404 error with this change?

Kind regards,
Pascal

February 24, 2023 at 2:03 pm #13109283

Andreas

Thank you for your reply.

In general, we are not having an official way for redirections.

But I can see that our customers are using this plugin :

https://wordpress.org/plugins/redirection/

BUT

Many users are creating tickets reporting that WPML is making redirection to their domains and it turns at the end that a 3rd party plugin makes them.

So please before adding the previous plugin make sure that everything is ok with your new domains and all languages and then move to create your redirections

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance. I'll gladly help you. 🙂

Regards,
Andreas

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.