Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Faisal Ahammad 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Faisal Ahammad.

Author Posts
January 18, 2023 at 3:50 pm #12844691

lynnW-2

We are still having an issue where the accent characters on the Spanish pages are getting corrupted. Here is an example:

hidden link

Since these are regular WP pages, we could go in and edit the incorrect accent characters. But the question remains - how did the accents get corrupted in the first place? And even if we made these edits, since we don't know how the corruptions happened, what's to stop them from happening in the future?

I'm hoping that you have seen this issue before and can recommend a site-wide fix for it.

January 18, 2023 at 6:57 pm #12845795

Faisal Ahammad

Hi there,
I tested a different font to see if your active font family was causing the issue, but unfortunately, the font family didn't resolve the issue. It is likely that your database character encoding is different than UTF-8. Don't worry, you can easily fix this.

Here is a step-by-step guide that you can follow to resolve the issue from your database: https://wpml.org/faq/texts-showing-as/.

**It is highly recommended that you make a backup of your database before proceeding.**

Once you have given it a try, please let me know how it goes.

Thank you,
Faisal

January 19, 2023 at 8:40 pm #12854353

lynnW-2

I reached out to the site host, Flywheel. They confirmed that the database character encoding was already set for UTF-8. They managed to resolve our accent character issue on a staging site by doing a sitewide search and replace for the corrupted characters, which seemed to work. I asked them to do the same thing for the live site.

The question remains, how these characters got messed up in the first place, if they were entered correctly initially. If you can think of any other ways this might have happened, please let me know. We just don't want this issue to recur. Thanks.

January 22, 2023 at 10:01 am #12866271

Faisal Ahammad

Hi,
Good morning! We are delighted to hear that the issue has been resolved. We are unsure of what caused the problem, but if you experience the same issue in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us so we can further investigate.

Thank you for your cooperation!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.