Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.47 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Eran Helzer 9 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Eran Helzer.

Author Posts
July 21, 2023 at 9:46 am #14077839

nicoT-5

Unfortunately this doesn't work either. The upload files do not seem to be the limiting factor, but the size of the database itself. Here I do not have any option to deselect certain years (or anything) from the /uploads folder.

With your login link you should be able to access the Duplicator plugin, be invited to have a look at the settings if there is some package you can create that works for you. I have a backup of the page.

July 22, 2023 at 11:44 am #14083229

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Yes, I managed to make a package.

However, before escalating this I want to try another thing.

I found that there is an issue with Elementor image captions ald alt texts when WPML Media is not activated. I tested this out on the staging site, with only adding WPML Media and re-translating a page where the issue occurred, and it seems to have solved the issue.
hidden link

I suggest the following:
- Translate all media using a non-Elementor gallery widget, with WPML Media deactivated, with the WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation "Translate media library texts with posts" option selected
- This will update the media library to include the translations of the media texts (I know you already did this, let's make sure that all the media library is translated)
- Then, activate WPML Media and send pages to Automatic Translation (even if you do not select the images one by one, the image will be copied to the translation and use the caption and alt texts from the media library)
We should first try this out on a few more pages where the issue occurs, before on all the pages.

Automatic Translation should have the same outcome as manually translating a page, thus this should have the same result as what I did with the staging site page.

July 24, 2023 at 11:58 am #14089279

nicoT-5

Ok, did now the following
- deactivate WPML Media
- enabled "Translate media library texts with posts"
- edited one caption of an image in the "Translation Gallery" page
- Update/Publish the Translation Gallery page
- in WPML Translation Management, this page still looks green (as if no changes to translation are necessary)
- I anyways go ahead an translate, using Overwrite existing translation (the other option is blocked)
- Translation complete (44k credits, no translation memory)

Next
- I activate WPML Media plugin
- I select Last Encounter photo series to translate.
- I do not select any of the media
- I mark all languages to translate
- I mark leave existing translation as is
- 11.6k credits
- Partial success: Captions are now showing correctly on hidden link but not on hidden link

- Trying the same once again, but select this time "Overwrite existing translations"
- 34.2k credits
- It now seems to have worked well on all translations

Next
- Re-translating hidden link that previously only copied the english text to the translated pages without actually translating it.
- selecting overwrite existing translations
- 8.3k credits
- all translations seem to have worked now

So in all, I do believe it works now this way. So my next step would be to extend the gallery page by truly all my images that are to be translated and then repeat the previous steps.

Anything I should look out for, or any advice on how to use the credits efficiently, as the translation memory seems to not work 100%?

Thanks for your help already, seems we're getting there now!

July 24, 2023 at 2:08 pm #14090139

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Okay, I am happy it's working as we thought.

About what to look out for, yes. When you select "Overwrite existing translations", it sends the page to translation again, ignoring the existing Translation Memory.
This feature is mostly used when, for example:
- You translated a sentence
- It is now stored in TM
- If you were to send this to Automatic Translation immediately, that sentence's translation would come from Translation Memory
- So if you want the entire page to be translated, ignoring your previous translation, you would select "Overwrite existing translations"

If the translations are always done with Automatic Translation, there is no real need to use this option, since the translations would just be the same again as they were. That's why credits were removed again for the same pages and why it seems like Translation Memory did not work as it should.

Other than that, it seems like the workflow is correct. Please update me if you have any other issues or doubts.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.