Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.82 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Eran Helzer 9 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Eran Helzer.

Author Posts
July 3, 2023 at 6:53 pm #13936177

nicoT-5

I want to add a new language. I already have several languages on my site. I use Elementor.
I want all my content to be translated into that new language.
So far, the best way I found for it is via Translation Management and here select the posts to translate, toggle 'don't translate' for the already existing ones and leave it toggled on only for the new target language.

Issue 1) This only works 20 at a time
Issue 2) I have to click and select on every single photo so that Alt text and Caption etc are also translated
Question 1: Is there a way to push all 600 posts to translation, including the media files? Or what's the best way to add an entirely new language automatically?

Question 2: Is there a way to automatically translate media for posts in other languages (and override existing translations), but not in the copy of the post itself (so automatic translation, but media only)

July 4, 2023 at 8:46 am #13938203

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

You can try disabling WPML Media Translation and then try to translate the pages you want. the content in the images will still be duplicated and you might achieve what you seem to be looking for.

Try it with one page that contains a lot of images first and check if the output is the desired one. if it is you can continue with the rest. You can let us know if you see there's something you don't like from the output and we will try to help you figure out another solution.

Regards.

July 5, 2023 at 10:51 am #13949175

nicoT-5

Hello Alejandro, thank you for the quick help.

I deactivated the Media Translation plugin and that indeed seems to work as you described - almost.

It seems to work well for all featured photos, but there seems to be issues with posts that have multiple images, such as hidden link

As you can see, some are translated well, others just have the attributes {%ALT_TEXT%} and {%CAPTION%} instead of an actual copy/translation.

Any suggestion?

July 5, 2023 at 2:26 pm #13951665

nicoT-5

I run into more issues. For example hidden link wasn't actually translated (the title yes, the content not), but it charged 624 credits.

Into hidden link there is no content at all (also charged 624 credits)

To replicate:
I selected 20 articles in Translation Management in English that did not yet have a translation to Spanish and chose to translate these articles into 7 new languages.
It worked for the first bunch, so I wanted to extend it to all my articles but then I run into this issue.

July 6, 2023 at 1:23 pm #13960279

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi there,

I will be helping you from here.

It seems to me, correct me if I missed something, that all the things we want to achieve are this:
- Translate all media metadata
- Translate all content in bigger batches than 20

Let's start with translating all media metadata, then move on to the next.
What Alejandro described should have worked, I am not yet sure why it didn't.

Let's try this:
- Go to WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation and check the option "Translate media library texts with posts". That will make it so that once you translate your media metadata one time, it will update the media library and so be available for all other places where that media is used
- Then, create a page, without Elementor, and add a Gallery block to it. To the Gallery, add all the media you want to translate metadata for
- Send that page to automatic translation. This will translate the media metadata in the page, which will in-turn update the media library thanks to the settings from the first step
- Finally, any other page using that media that we translated will use the translations (although it may need to be synced by sending it to translation again)

Regarding credits, of course if there was any issue we will take responsibility, however I will explain to you that even if you do not see a translated text, that does not mean you lost credits. Thanks to Translation Memory, you will never spend credits to translate the same text twice.

Please tell me how the media translation goes and we will continue to the other issue.

July 10, 2023 at 1:47 pm #14006853

nicoT-5

Hi Eran,

thank you very much. I've tried to follow your steps:

1) "Translate media library texts with posts" was already checked

2) I've created a Gallery page. Not yet with all photos, but enough to test: hidden link

3) I've translated this page, which seems to have worked: hidden link

4) On hidden link it still shows {%CAPTION%}

5) I try to send that post to translation again (just to Danish, all other languages deselected). I cannot select "Leave existing translations as is". If I do, the start translating button remains grey. I select overwrite existing translations.
The account was charged now 1378 credits for the translation.
It still shows {%CAPTION%} under some images.

So it seems that a) it doesn't fully work yet and b) it does charge me multiple times for the translation (since Translation Memory doesn't seem to work)

Any further ideas?

July 10, 2023 at 2:23 pm #14007003

Eran Helzer
Supporter

I see.

In that case, I would like to have admin access to your website, in order to take a look for myself.

I have set your next reply to be private so you can share credentials there.
Remember that it is always better to create a new admin user for me, then when we are done you can delete it.

July 12, 2023 at 2:15 pm #14025365

nicoT-5

Hey Eran,
okay. Yes, the photo post type is nothing fancy. Most of them (such as hidden link) are not even created with Elementor, but just the normal WordPress Editor. Still they don't translate well.

Some recent ones like hidden link have been created using Elementor. There indeed it's 95% just a single text box and the featured photo. The only other addition is the call to action segment at the bottom.

Everyhing else, the Sidebar and the lower part of the screen (Author box, More photos to discover, Comment section) is part of a template. They're not part of every single post but are set in Templates --> Theme Builder.

So it's normal that these parts don't translate along with the photo posts. I've tried once to simply translate these templates, and that worked well.

So I've added a post now to the sandbox, but not sure if its helpful since it's really just a picture and some text.

July 13, 2023 at 1:46 pm #14033697

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Okay.

I copied a Photo "Last Encounter | Alt-Tegel, Berlin" over to the test site, and when I sent it to automatic translation the texts display correctly.
hidden link

Also, if I look at the Photo using the WordPress editor and not Elementor, it displays the captions correctly.
For example, the Spanish version of the same photo in the WordPress editor:
hidden link

Considered together, this makes me think that there may be some other plugin or the child theme you are using which may be related. In order to verify that, I would like to perform a minimal test. For that we will need to disable all other plugins and switch to the parent theme, however we shouldn't do that on a live site.

Do you have a staging site where we can replicate this issue?

Finally, I would like to make a Duplicator package of the site in order to set it up locally.
If you have any objections to that I won't do it, please update me.

July 17, 2023 at 1:09 pm #14049899

nicoT-5

Sure, I'll be setting up a staging site. No objection to your proposal.

I just run into an issue with the database size when setting up the staging, so I'm in touch with the Siteground support and get back to you once that is resolved.

July 17, 2023 at 2:40 pm #14050645

nicoT-5

Please allow me to send a private message, so that I can send login link.

July 17, 2023 at 2:41 pm #14050675

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Your next message is private.

July 18, 2023 at 1:20 pm #14059545

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Okay, some updates.

What I did was:
- Deactivate all plugins except for Sutom Functions and WPML
- Switch to WordPress theme
- Create new translations of "Last Encounter | Alt-Tegel, Berlin"
- Update translations of the same Photo

New translations displayed captions and alt texts correctly.
Then when I reverted the plugins and theme, and made new translations, they also worked correctly.

Please take a look at the examples here:
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link (created before the tests, has {%CAPTION%})

Thus I can not make any conclusions yet. I want to escalate this to the 2nd tier team.

Please provide a Duplicator package of the site, and admin credentials for it, and some more examples of where the issue ({%CAPTION%}) happens.

Your next reply is private, so you can share it there.

July 19, 2023 at 4:19 pm #14067667

nicoT-5

Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to create the Duplicator Package. I always run into some errors, probably due to the large size of the database.

Is there any other workaround?

July 20, 2023 at 7:28 am #14069571

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Can you try making a Duplicator with only some of the /uploads folders? We don't need the entire thing, just a few posts where the issue happens, in order to be able to debug it of necessary.

Please update me if it works with filtering, if not we can try another way.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.