Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 7, 2023 at 6:30 pm

karanA

Can not connect to SmartCat

May 7, 2023 at 7:31 pm
May 8, 2023 at 8:04 am #13602763

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Our second-tier supporter suggests trying the following.

1. Take a backup of the DB of your site.
2. Go to WPML -> Settings -> Troubleshooting.
3. Scroll down and look for the "Refresh Translation Services" button and press it.
4. Check if this solves the problem.

**** Important! Please make a DB backup before you proceed with those steps****

I wanted to check things and your site, but the access details you gave me yesterday are not working anymore. I get this error: ERROR: Incorrect username or password.

Is this suggestion working for you?

Regards,
Itamar.

May 12, 2023 at 6:15 am #13634183

karanA

Hi, I have managed to connect to smartcat now, however, had a couple more question - so now I can send jobs to smartcat via WPML Plugin - it creates a new project on SmartCAT. My questions:
1. Each time I send a new job, will it always create a new project? Can I send jobs to same projects? Or if the file has been updated in the website, can I send it back to SmartCAT in to the same project same file with additional segments?
2. Once the translation is done in SmartCAT - I push the translation back - all done. Now, what happens if I delete the SmartCAT project? Do I lose the translation in WPML / Website too?
3. Last question is related to WPML - in the editor I can see that it says translation save in TM. Is there a way for me to download the TM (translation memory) from WPML as this technically belongs to us/our client.

Thanks in advance!

May 14, 2023 at 8:43 am #13642121

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

I'm glad you could connect to Smartcat and send translation jobs.

About your further questions. Have you read our guide on working with Smartcat?

https://wpml.org/translation-service/smartcat/

If not, please read it.

1. Each time I send a new job, will it always create a new project? Can I send jobs to same projects? Or if the file has been updated in the website, can I send it back to SmartCAT in to the same project same file with additional segments?

Honestly, I'm unsure how things are working on Smartcat's side. The above guide states the following.

If for any reason, you want to cancel the translation of the pages sent from WPML to Smartcat, bear in mind that:

You cannot manually delete or cancel jobs from the Translation Jobs tab on your website.
The project can be canceled only in Smartcat. To do this, log in to your Smartcant account and cancel the project.
Read more about canceling translation jobs sent to a professional service.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/professional-translation-via-wpml/how-to-use-translation-service/#canceling-jobs

Does this answer your question?

2. Once the translation is done in SmartCAT - I push the translation back - all done. Now, what happens if I delete the SmartCAT project? Do I lose the translation in WPML / Website too?

Once the translations are published on your site, you should not lose them by deleting the Smartcat project.

3. Last question is related to WPML - in the editor I can see that it says translation save in TM. Is there a way for me to download the TM (translation memory) from WPML as this technically belongs to us/our client.

I'm unsure what exactly you mean when you refer to the translation memory. In any case, you should be able to export the translation jobs as an XLIFF file from WPML -> Translations. You can read about it here.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-desktop-cat-tools/configuring-xliff-file-options/

Regards,
Itamar.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.