Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
After installing WPML, the client is unable to save translated labels for ACF button fields in other languages. The labels revert to the original English version, and changes are not reflected across different languages despite the "Same fields across languages" setting.

Solution:
If you're experiencing this issue, we recommend the following steps:
1. To change the translation across all translations of the field, edit the translation of the page where they appear by going to your Pages tab, selecting a translation, and editing it.
2. If you want to translate the links individually:
- Change the field groups translation option to "Expert".
- Navigate to WPML > Settings and set the desired fields to "Translate". This will include all variations such as "buttons", "buttons_0_link", "buttons_1_link", etc.
- Make a small change in the default page or post to update the translation.
- Proceed with the translation as desired.

Please note that this solution might be irrelevant if it's outdated or not applicable to your case. We highly recommend checking the related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the issue persists, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.41 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lucas Vidal de Andrade 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
March 6, 2024 at 3:06 pm #15380358

emilM-2

Hello There,
I installed WPML after ACF fields were added and now when I try to add a translated label of a button field for another language, it still displays the original English one, and the changes are not saved. If the English label is changed, it also displays for the other languages. Currently, the settings for all fields are "Same fields across languages". Could you please help to find out what is causing the issue and how we can resolve it?

March 6, 2024 at 8:50 pm #15381562

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for sharing the information.

Are you referring to the field label or to the field value?

Can you explain to me, step-by-step, how you translated the button field? This way, I can better understand what's going on. Screenshots might also be helpful.

Furthermore, I checked your debug info and noticed that your website doesn't have the minimum memory required for WPML to work. WPML requires a memory limit of at least 128MB while 256MB is recommended. See https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/ for detailed information. You can set WP Memory Limit in your wp-config.php file by adding the following code:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

See:

https://wordpress.org/support/article/editing-wp-config-php/#increasing-memory-allocated-to-php

for details. Increasing WP Memory may help improve the performance and sometimes also help resolving such issues.

March 7, 2024 at 7:47 am #15382429

emilM-2

Hello,
Both label and value (URL) are not updated for the link field on the translated page.
First the label and link of the link field are entered on the English page admin panel. Then when the translate page edit is opened (by changing the language) the link field does not appear in the Translator, so I enter the label and the link for the translated page admin panel.

I've added the code in wp-config.php to increase the memory, but it didn't resolve the issue.
Here are attached screenshots of the link field I tried to translate.

Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_1.png
March 7, 2024 at 1:08 pm #15384461

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Ok,

Thank you for sharing. Regarding ACF fields, it's important to make sure that they are set to translatable.

Please go to WPML > Settings > Custom Fields Translation and check if these fields are set to translatable. After that, please check ACF > Field Groups > Edit, to see if they have the right translation options.

If everything is set up correctly, you must simply translate a page that contains these fields using the translation editor. Please refer to this documentation:

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Let me know.

March 7, 2024 at 3:30 pm #15385345

emilM-2

Hello again,
Thank you for the support so far. I've checked the fields, but most of them are locked and the explanation note says that they should be changed from the Homepage field group. In the Homepage field group, the field translation setting is "Same fields across languages" and there are no other translation options for each field. The link field is in the repeater field named "cards". Here are screenshots of the field structure.

Let me know if there are some other options that have to be changed.

Screenshot_16.png
Screenshot_15.png
Screenshot_14.png
Screenshot_17.png
March 7, 2024 at 5:52 pm #15386265

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” or "All in One WP Migration" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

March 8, 2024 at 2:23 pm #15389824

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for sharing the data. I deactivated all unnecessary plugins and set a default theme in your staging environment, so I could see the problem in isolation. It seems that WPML is not behaving as expected, but I'll check that with our developers.

Before I talk to them, can you please update WPML and String Translation to the latest version?

Furthermore, if possible, please leave the rest as it is in the staging version, so we can analyze the issue without interference. Thanks in advance!

I'm waiting for your feedback

March 8, 2024 at 3:54 pm #15390150

emilM-2

Hello,
I've updated both the WPML and String Translation plugins to their latest versions.

Let me know if any other changes are needed.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_23.png
March 8, 2024 at 4:59 pm #15390342

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Thank you! I'll get back to you as soon as I have feedback from them. Have a nice day, until then 🙂

March 13, 2024 at 10:23 am #15402937

emilM-2

Thank you! Looking forward to your feedback.

One more question - most of the auto translations look good. But can you tell me the best way to go about editing/overriding autotranslations that we need to edit?

March 13, 2024 at 12:31 pm #15403863

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hello,

That's great to hear! In that case, if you want to change the translation across all the translations of the field, you can simply edit the translation of the page where they appear. Go to your Pages tab, select a translation and edit it. (see image).

Let me know if that helps and if your primary issue was resolved.

Besides that, I got feedback from our developers, in case you want to translate the links individually:

1. Change the field groups translation option to "Expert";
2. Go to WPML > Settings and set the desired fields to "Translate". That'll include all the numerous variations (like "buttons", "buttons_0_link", "buttons_1_link" and so on);
3. Make a small change in the default page or post, so translation can be updated
4. Translate as you wish

Pages _ Sandbox _ WordPress · 9.18am · 03-13.jpeg
March 14, 2024 at 2:58 pm #15410893
emilM-2

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback, the translate option of the ACF fields seems to work and the translations are displayed. But now there is another issue - when I update the default page other languages pages get broken. It seems that the ACF field group names somehow get translated. Is there any way to prevent them from translation, so they are associated correctly with the templates? Here is an attached example video of the problem. I've restored the database of the staging to working state, so you can try and replicate the issue.
hidden link

Thanks in advance!

New threads created by Lucas Vidal de Andrade and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-cannot-add-translation-to-acf-button-field-label/

March 14, 2024 at 5:37 pm #15411773

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

I created a new ticket for that issue, since it's not your original issue. I'll answer you there:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-cannot-add-translation-to-acf-button-field-label/

Thank you for your patience 🙂 If your initial issue was resolved, please mark this ticket as resolved.

March 15, 2024 at 9:29 am #15413519

emilM-2

Hello,
Thank you for your cooperation and support, the solution works! 🙂 I've marked the issue as resolved.

emilM-2 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-03-15 09:29:10.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.