Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
May 18, 2023 at 7:30 pm #13674735

elizabethH

I am trying to:

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got: Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot access offset of type string on string in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/core-api/core/OptionManager.php:45 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/batch-translation/Records.php(39): WPML\WP\OptionManager->set('ST', 'WPML\\ST\\Batch\\T...', true) #1 [internal function]: WPML\ST\Batch\Translation\Records::WPML\ST\Batch\Translation\{closure}(Object(wpdb)) #2 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/fp/core/functions.php(154): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array) #3 [internal function]: WPML\FP\{closure}(Object(wpdb)) #4 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/fp/core/traits/Curryable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array) #5 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/batch-translation/Module.php(29): WPML\ST\Batch\Translation\Records::__callStatic('installSchema', Array) #6 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/plugin.php(64): WPML\ST\Batch\Translation\Module::init() #7 /var/www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(308): wpml_st_core_loaded(Object(SitePress)) #8 /var/www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(332): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #9 /var/www/wp-includes/plugin.php(517): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #10 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/sitepress.class.php(527): do_action('wpml_loaded', Object(SitePress)) #11 /var/www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(308): SitePress->init('') #12 /var/www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(332): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #13 /var/www/wp-includes/plugin.php(517): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #14 /var/www/wp-settings.php(486): do_action('plugins_loaded') #15 /var/www/wp-config.php(99): require_once('/var/www/wp-set...') #16 /var/www/wp-load.php(50): require_once('/var/www/wp-con...') #17 /var/www/wp-admin/admin.php(34): require_once('/var/www/wp-loa...') #18 /var/www/wp-admin/index.php(10): require_once('/var/www/wp-adm...') #19 {main} thrown in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/core-api/core/OptionManager.php on line 45

Notice: Function is_embed was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.0.) in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5865

Notice: Function is_search was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.0.) in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5865

May 19, 2023 at 6:07 am #13675865

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

while you are waiting for one of my colleagues to take over the ticket, please follow next steps:

1) In order to expedite handling your support requests, can you please share WPML support debug information from your site.

- To give debug information, login to your site and go to WPML → Support. From there click on the “debug information” link at the bottom of the page.
- Once on the “debug information” page, select the entire content of the text box and copy it.
- Now go back to our support forum, find debug information box and paste it.

More information on the link: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

2) Workaround from next ticket, make sure to have a backup and test it on staging site.

- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/illegal-string-offset/#post-13029029

Let us know how it goes and if you need our help with it.

Regards.
Drazen

May 19, 2023 at 3:25 pm #13680409

elizabethH

Hi Thanks for your above notes. BUT, I had to uninstall the WPML CMS because it was crashing our site.. We installed the version from your website..(sitepress-multilingual-cms.4.6.4-b.1)
Which waS SUPPOSED TO FIX THE CRITICAL ERROR AS PER YOUR NOTES, BUT IT STILL CRASHED OUR SITE.
If you could please try to install on your end.
Here is user name for your access.

May 19, 2023 at 11:54 pm #13681635

Bobby
Supporter

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

Please avoid sharing sensitive information as this is a public thread.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed It is necessary to take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website. Providing us with access, you agree that a backup has been taken **

I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

May 23, 2023 at 1:02 am #13694311

Bobby
Supporter

Hi there,

This is the fatal error when WPML String Translation is activated, however, when using the FTP access details I was provided and manually removing the WPML plugin the error remains. Please confirm that the FTP details provided are for the correct environment.

Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot access offset of type string on string in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/core-api/core/OptionManager.php:45 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/batch-translation/Records.php(39): WPML\WP\OptionManager->set('ST', 'WPML\\ST\\Batch\\T...', true) #1 [internal function]: WPML\ST\Batch\Translation\Records::WPML\ST\Batch\Translation\{closure}(Object(wpdb)) #2 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/fp/core/functions.php(154): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array) #3 [internal function]: WPML\FP\{closure}(Object(wpdb)) #4 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/fp/core/traits/Curryable.php(57): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array) #5 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/batch-translation/Module.php(29): WPML\ST\Batch\Translation\Records::__callStatic('installSchema', Array) #6 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/plugin.php(64): WPML\ST\Batch\Translation\Module::init() #7 /var/www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(308): wpml_st_core_loaded(Object(SitePress)) #8 /var/www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(332): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #9 /var/www/wp-includes/plugin.php(517): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #10 /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/sitepress.class.php(527): do_action('wpml_loaded', Object(SitePress)) #11 /var/www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(308): SitePress->init('') #12 /var/www/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(332): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #13 /var/www/wp-includes/plugin.php(517): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #14 /var/www/wp-settings.php(486): do_action('plugins_loaded') #15 /var/www/wp-config.php(99): require_once('/var/www/wp-set...') #16 /var/www/wp-load.php(50): require_once('/var/www/wp-con...') #17 /var/www/wp-admin/admin.php(34): require_once('/var/www/wp-loa...') #18 /var/www/wp-admin/plugins.php(10): require_once('/var/www/wp-adm...') #19 {main} thrown in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml/core-api/core/OptionManager.php on line 45

Notice: Function is_embed was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.0.) in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5865

May 23, 2023 at 1:10 am #13694339

elizabethH

This is an error by the WPML CMS is seems/ or String translator.
I need our clients site up and running if you could please do what is needed to rectify this error.
As per screen shots it still seems that the cms and string translation are still installed...
This is the correct FTP :

[removed]

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.15.29 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.15.44 PM.png
May 23, 2023 at 6:09 pm #13702613

Bobby
Supporter

The FTP details I was provided were from a different environment, please verify the newly provided ones as I cannot access the FTP.

To get the error removed quickly, please go to wp-content/plugins/ and add .deactivate at the end of the sitepress-multilingual-cms folder

To provide the correct details, edit the previous private reply, please to ensure they are shared privately.

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 11.06.58 AM.png
May 23, 2023 at 6:18 pm #13702661

elizabethH

This is the credentials as per our host Godaddy: I was able to login as you can see with above screenshots..

I have renamed the file as requested..
See screenshot.

May 25, 2023 at 7:47 pm #13719125

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the screenshots, unfortunately, I have attempted multiple times but these credentials do not work for me.

The only ones that work are the ones shared in the private field and these point to a different system.

To continue moving the issue forward to help you resolve this I created a copy of the site on to our private Cloudways servers, you can access it here hidden link with the same credentials. At the moment WPML + WPML String Translation seems to work ok without making any changes.

What is the PHP Version you are currently using?

Try this:

1. Go to your database table wp_options and search for the key wpml_notices -> delete the key

NOTE: Always have a recent and working backup before making any changes recommended by our team or a 3rd party

Try activating WPML again -> does it work ok now?

2. share your PHP Version with me

May 25, 2023 at 9:56 pm #13719323

elizabethH

Bobby, I only have an access via godaddy. Each time I request FTP access, it creates a new password.

I have PHP 8.
On your test site, there is no menu showing to see the French version of the site:

hidden link

Please send me a link to again provide you with login access to our godaddy account. so you can create your own FTP access> I need this issue fixed,as it is still not functioning correctly.

May 25, 2023 at 11:25 pm #13719415

Bobby
Supporter

Private field enabled.

The FR version is here: hidden link

Thank you!

May 30, 2023 at 7:30 pm #13742315

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you,

I am attempting to access the godaddy, it needs to send a verification code to a gmail. I have gone ahead and send a one time password.

May 30, 2023 at 7:32 pm #13742331

elizabethH

May 30, 2023 at 8:58 pm #13742551

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you, I was able to access it.

Looks like the issue is related to the PHP Version.

Switching to PHP 7.4 resolves the fatal error.

I escalated this thread to our 2nd tier support and they will take a look at this issue.

You will be notified as soon as new information is available. In the meantime, you can adjust PHP Version to 7.4 if you need to proceed with the project while we investigate this.

May 30, 2023 at 9:12 pm #13742585

elizabethH

I will need this resolved as Godaddy is eliminating the PHP version up to 8.
When I read your Recent document station, it said the latest version of your plugin resolved the fatal/critical error due to the Php version 8...

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.