Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing an issue where changes made to the default language page (French) were overwriting the English translation, despite setting the page to 'Translate Separately'.
Solution:
1. We recommended creating a full backup of the database.
2. We instructed the client to access the database and edit the

wp_postmeta

table.
3. We advised searching for the ID of the translated (English) page.
4. We suggested deleting the row with the meta key

_icl_lang_duplicate_of

that was causing the issue.
After following these steps, we removed the problematic items from the database, and the duplication feature began to work correctly.

If this solution doesn't look relevant to your issue, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
January 4, 2024 at 7:09 pm #15152785

jean-ericH

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Trying to redact the French page without overwriting everything on the English page every time I make a slight change on the French side. Lots many hours trying to fix this. French is the default language, English is secondary. On the english page, I selected the "Translate Separately" multiple times, but as soon as I do a change on the French page, it is reset also.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
The documentation tells me to click "Traduire à part" and all should be fine, but it keeps getting reset.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Not really.

What is the link to your site?

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 14.01.03.png
January 5, 2024 at 3:38 am #15153187

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Jean,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

I think there is an issue in the database and the duplication setting isn't removed. Please follow steps below and let me know how it goes:

1. Create a full backup of your database.
2. Access the database > Edit table wp_postmeta > Search for the ID of the translation page.
3. Delete the row which has the meta key "_icl_lang_duplicate_of".

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

January 5, 2024 at 4:27 pm #15155795

jean-ericH

Thank you for the quick response.

I did search for that entry in the table for both the original language and the translation, but could not find it.

Original (French): post ID # 6
Translated (English): post ID # 640.

Any other suggestions?

I created an account for you to check the dev site:

[supporter removed]

Thank you so much.

Jean-Eric Hénault

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.21.46.png
January 5, 2024 at 4:48 pm #15155873

jean-ericH

Intriguing, after sending the previous post, I searched for that string in the meta keys, and found the following (See enclosed). There are a lot of items that have the master post (French) 6 as the meta value, but none are related to the translated version (640).

Suggestion?

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.46.50.png
January 8, 2024 at 4:00 am #15158060

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi,

There are a lot of items that have the master post (French) 6 as the meta value, but none are related to the translated version (640).

That could be the issue in the database. I've removed them all and the duplication feature works properly on your site. Can you please recheck this?

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

January 8, 2024 at 5:06 am #15158109

jean-ericH

Thank you, it seems to have done the trick for now. Early verifications seems to confirm the fix. Thank you so much.

jean-ericH confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-01-08 05:06:21.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.