Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 30, 2022 at 5:27 am

valonS

Hello, i purchased WPML some weeks ago, but unfortunately i can't translate my website from french to english. I contacted your support, but till today i haven't resolved the issue. I have only the page '' Qui suis je'' who is translated in english to '' Who i Am ''but i can't come back to the french version. I don't know what is happening, but i can't resolve the issue by myself. If you can have a look and help me, i would appreciate it as i am a beginner with WPML. Thanks in advance, Valon

September 30, 2022 at 5:43 am
October 1, 2022 at 10:59 am #12160545

valonS

still waiting for an answer...

October 1, 2022 at 5:42 pm #12161617

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

The default method for translating pages is to post with WPML by using the WPML Translation Editor.

In your example, the page is only translated to 17%.

Content will only show up on Front-End if translated to 100% when being translated for the first time.

Is there any issue with completing this translation? See screenhot.

Best regards
Andreas

page.png
October 1, 2022 at 7:55 pm #12161891

valonS

Hello Andreas,
Thank you for replying. I didn't know how to contact you, as you was the first that i contacted for all these issues. The issue with this page is , that the original language is french and not english, english should be the translated version of the page. I don't know how to get back to french...

October 1, 2022 at 8:56 pm #12161931

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Right, I am sorry, as I did not realize that.

From what I see here the original content of this page is in English but the source language is set to French.

You can adjust that on the WordPress Editor inside the language section of the right sidebar.

Means you should set this content to have the source language English and then translate to French.

Guide:
https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-link-already-translated-pages/

Now, as long there are translations in progress you will not be able to adjust the source language of the content, so you will first need to cancel the ongoing translation jobs at WPML > Translation Management > Jobs and delete the current English translation.

I have adjusted all the above all ready for you. Please translate the page now from EN to FR using the WPML Translation Editor and let me know in case something does not work out as expected.

Best regards
Andreas

October 2, 2022 at 7:29 am #12163491

valonS

Hello Andreas,
I don't know if i understood and i apologize for that but the original language of the page ' Who I Am ' before i installed WPML was in French and after installing, it seems to be translated in english. That's the issue. I don't know how to get back, to set in french ' Quis suis je' and then to translate the page in english ' Who I Am'.
And the second, i can't cancel the jobs after i have selected them, like shown in the image.
Thank you in advance.

Capture d’écran 2022-10-02 à 09.24.06.png
October 2, 2022 at 8:07 am #12163595

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

When I visited your site there was sadly not any French content.

I only found a page with English content that was assigned to the French language.

Now, this usually only could happen, if you by mistake replaced the content on the site, maybe while translating manually without the WPML Translation Editor, or someone switched the content default language.

There is sadly not any way to recover lost content unless you find it still in the trash bin of your WordPress site or you recover the content from a backup.

Best regards
Andreas

October 2, 2022 at 8:12 pm #12165887

valonS

Hi Andreas,
Thank you for your support. I recreated the page and i think now it's fine. I have the two versions ' Qui suis je' in french and 'Who am I' in english.
Now, i continued with translating the other page, 'Collections'. I did the translation , but it doesn't show in english. Have i done it correctly or is something missing?
Best Regards
Valon

October 4, 2022 at 5:34 am #12174325

valonS

Hello, can i get an answer please?

October 4, 2022 at 3:17 pm #12178729

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

My apologies for the delay, as I do not work on Mondays and Sundays.

I was able to see the issue, but it disappeared after I edited the original "Collections" page, saved it, and applied the translation again.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards
Andreas

October 4, 2022 at 7:51 pm #12180743

valonS

Hi Andreas,
I didn't know that you were in weekend. I am sorry for that, concerning the page '' Collections'' , i thank you the page is now translated. One more thing about this page, the products that are on this page, if we click on them, they do not appear translated... (like shown in the image) and i did also translate the page ' Course' and ' Contact' but it doesn't appear to be translated.
I thank you very much for your assistance.

Best Regards
Valon

Capture d’écran 2022-10-04 à 21.41.29.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-10-04 à 21.48.46.jpg
October 4, 2022 at 9:14 pm #12180943

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

There was an issue with the category base slug translation at WPML > Taxonomy Translation for your products, as the slug was not translated. This is solved now.

Also, the translation of the other pages worked, after updating the original content and applying the translation again.

Anyhow, I still see one unexpected issue. The Divi CSS settings are not copied.

It is still unclear to me what is causing that and I need more time for testing.

Would you agree if I install the plugin "All In One WP Migration" on your site in order to take a copy of the site for troubleshooting on a virtual, local server?

Best regards
Andreas

October 5, 2022 at 5:34 am #12182385

valonS

Hi Andreas,

Yes, of course you can install. If i remember i have already installed before '' All in one WP Migration'' and i do regularly backups with it.
That's why it seems to me hard to translate or to work with WPML plugin, something must not working because it can't be possible that the translation might be so difficult to implement.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards
Valon

October 5, 2022 at 7:55 pm #12188521

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Valon,

I am not really understanding this behavior now, but I do see on my local copy exact the same CSS in both languages - which means the translation of the "Course" page appears to be correct.

See Screenshots.

Meanwhile, the page "Cours" on your site uses a different CSS. Any idea why is that? Could it be a cache issue?

hidden link

Can you please verify where those CSS changes on your site and confirm where they actually are coming from and let me know the details?

Best regards
Andreas

course.png
cours.png

The topic ‘[Closed] i can't translate my website from french to english’ is closed to new replies.