Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by stanv-3 1 year ago.

Author Posts
April 22, 2023 at 12:36 pm #13521139

stanv-3

I am trying to:
Access wp-admin but get a internal error message instead.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
shop.vandenbeld.fr/wp-admin

I expected to see:
The login page

Instead, I got:
A internal server error

I have tried in a staging environment to disable everything including the theme and just have WPML enabled. The error showed up. When I disable WPML the error goes away. I did notice in one instance after resaving the permalinks that there was no error until I enabled woocommerce with WPML and nothing else. So to be sure I then disabled WPML and left woocommerce on. The error still didn't show up. Only when I activated WPML again did it pop up. So I am pretty sure it is something WPML related.
The reason we are not using the latest version of woocommerce is because of a bug in there that messes with the cart.

April 22, 2023 at 1:08 pm #13521341

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

Before your ticket is assigned to one of my colleagues, can you please enable the WordPress debug log?

This will allow us to see if any PHP errors are being produced.

More Info: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

In order to do that, edit the wp-config.php file inside your WordPress directory and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Now please reproduce the issue once again.

Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

Paste the content (if any) on a site like pastebin.com and then share the link here with us (only you and us will see the URL you are sharing).

We will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

April 22, 2023 at 1:49 pm #13521409

stanv-3

Hey Mihai,

Thanks for the quick reply, I did what you requested however no debug log to be found inside wp-content after enabling debug mode.

I can give you access to the admin area if you want?

Steps to produce the error :
- Disable everything and switch to default theme

Now everything works

- Enable WPML

Internal server error

- Disable WPML activate just woocommerce

Wp admin works

- activate WPML again

Now you get an error 404 when trying to access wp-admin

- resave permalinks

Now everything works again

- deactivate woocommerce

Everything still works

- re activate woocommerce

Internal server error

- de activate wpml

error

- re save permalink

works again

Anyhow, something isn't right obviously. When I say re activate WPML I mean all 3 WPML plugins installed. Haven't tried it out separately. Hope you can help

April 24, 2023 at 7:17 am #13524663

George Botsev
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello!
Please allow me to quickly jump in with a suggestion.
I noticed that you had internal server errors on your site and your case reminded me of the issue listed on our errata page here: https://wpml.org/errata/htaccess-is-rewritten-with-language-folder/
Where the .htaccess was overwritten incorrectly thus creating the problem.
Perhaps the code snippet there could help you solve the problem?

April 24, 2023 at 7:26 am #13524687

stanv-3

Hey George!

I actually already had that snippet on my site, to resolve a similar issue. I had the internal error all over the site at that time. Now it is just the WP-ADMIN.. Hope you got other ideas.

Thanks!
Stan

April 24, 2023 at 7:49 am #13524809

George Botsev
Supporter

It is very unusual to have the error only on the /wp-admin/ requests.
Are you perhaps translating login pages?
Perhaps you can try and disable that feature if it is not working for you or not necessary for your site. This is done in WPML > Settings > Login and registration pages > Allow translating the login and registration pages or perhaps delete the translation of them from WPML > String Translation and re-translate.

April 24, 2023 at 7:50 am #13524815

George Botsev
Supporter

Additionally, I see you are using a cache and a security plugin. Sometimes those are pretty hard to disable and test without them. Perhaps purge the cache (even server-side) and disable temporarily the security measures and re-check if this helps.

April 26, 2023 at 7:07 am #13538265

stanv-3

Hey George,

Disabling the translation of the login page seems to do the job. Thanks for that!

Best regards,
Stan

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.