Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing error messages in French on their website and the language switcher was not functioning after creating a new menu area and synchronizing the menu.

Solution:
We investigated the issue and found that it occurred when the TranslatePress plugin was activated. We recommend using only one translation plugin, WPML, to avoid such conflicts. The client confirmed that after removing TranslatePress, the language switcher started working again.

If you're experiencing similar issues with error messages or the language switcher not working after synchronizing your menus, we recommend you try deactivating any other translation plugins you may have installed. This will help you determine if there is a conflict causing the problem.

Please note that this solution might be irrelevant if it's outdated or not applicable to your case. If the issue persists, we highly recommend checking related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.68 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by loretteK-2 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
April 3, 2024 at 3:35 am #15475798

loretteK-2

Hi there,

I was working on my theme layout to create a new menu area. I synchronized my menu and in the menu setting, it looked good in both French and English.

But on the website, I keep getting error messages in French (see image attached). And if on a French the language switcher does not work anymore.

Please help. Thank you.

Screenshot_1.png
April 3, 2024 at 6:48 am #15476117

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I’m happy to help you with this issue.

I see the issue with the language switcher and the error message on your site in the French language. It looks similar to this issue https://wpml.org/forums/topic/all-translations-gone/

Please follow the workaround in that ticket and let me know if it helps.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

April 3, 2024 at 10:39 am #15477534

Pierre
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi @lorettek-2,

This is Pierre from the dev team.

Could you please update WPML to the latest version (4.6.10) and confirm your problem is fixed?

Thanks!

April 3, 2024 at 5:52 pm #15479925

loretteK-2

Hi Pierre and Long,

I have updated WPML to the latest version (4.6.10) and translated the string transient. The problem is still there. What next?

Thank you, Evelyne

April 3, 2024 at 6:05 pm #15479971

Pierre
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

@lorettek-2, I thought it could be a problem related to WP 6.5 which requires WPML 4.6.10. But then it does not seem related.

I will let Long continue investigating with you.

April 3, 2024 at 10:20 pm #15480599

loretteK-2

OK,I will wait for Long to investigate. Thanks

April 4, 2024 at 1:40 am #15480778

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Have you applied the workaround in the ticket that I shared above?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/all-translations-gone/

If it does not help, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to have a testing site where the issue is replicated. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
You can use this plugin to create the backup: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
✙ I would need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Thanks

April 8, 2024 at 2:44 am #15492280

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

After restoring your site on my local host and investigating the issue, I see it occurs when activating the plugin TranslatePress. I recommend using one translation plugin WPML on your site to prevent other issues.

Thanks

April 8, 2024 at 2:24 pm #15494825

loretteK-2

Hi Long,

Thank you for finding the issue. Both plugins have been there together for a long time. it must be a new update that clashed. I have removed Translatepress and now the langue swith works. Have a great day!

loretteK-2 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-04-08 14:25:30.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.