Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
March 5, 2024 at 1:06 pm #15374647

gabeS-4

We have a multi site sub-directory setup, the site is hosting on WP Engine.

We are on latest WPML plugin 4.6.9 at the moment.

we are consistently seeing an issue where the mapping of Primary language goes missing and same menu shows on both languages.

March 6, 2024 at 8:40 am #15377738

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
I hope you're doing well.

I've checked the Entire conversation you had with my colleague Mateus and understood the issue. We are aware of some issues that may arise while using the Object cache with WPML. We have documented these possible concerns in an errata page. For more details, please visit this Errata: https://wpml.org/errata/object-cache-pro-various-issues/

As the issue gets resolved upon disabling the Object Caching, would you please try following the workaround mentioned in the Errata? You can download the plugin mentioned in the Workaround from this link: hidden link

After adding the plugin, please do the following and check if it makes any changes in the result:

- Resave the permalink structure by going to "Settings > Permalink"
- Since you're having an issue with the menu, you can then Synchronize the menu by following the instructions outlined here: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/#easy-customizable-wp-menus-sync
- After that, go to "WPML > Support > troubleshooting" and click on the following buttons, as the language information is randomly getting changed.
-- Clear the cache in WPML
-- Assign translation status to duplicated content
-- Set language information

Please let me know how it goes. I'll be happy to help. if you need further assistance in this matter.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

March 12, 2024 at 4:13 pm #15400647

gabeS-4

Hi Prosenjit:

Is it possible to use this plugin noted above without doing the menu sync? Our sites use manually created menus for each language, so we wouldnt be able to rely on string translations for this. Also, please let me know if you would need access to our staging sites to take a look at this issue further.

March 13, 2024 at 7:31 am #15402200

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
Thank you for the update.

You can still use the plugin even without syncing the menu. The reason I mentioned syncing was due to the issue you mentioned with the menu in other languages on your site.

Please keep the plugin I've shared active on your site, and re-examine the menu in each language. If there are any discrepancies, update the respective menus accordingly and keep an eye on how they perform when the plugin is active.

Let me know the update. I will be happy to help if you need further assistance in this matter.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

March 15, 2024 at 3:26 pm #15415146

gabeS-4

Hi Prosenjit:

We have added the plugin code to our staging environment. I have taken the steps you had outlined earlier, re-saving the permalinks, clearing the WPML cache etc. We are still having the same issues.

If you would like to take a look at the issue further, I can provide you login credentials to our staging site. I could also jump on a Zoom call to walk you through the issue.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks.

March 18, 2024 at 4:45 am #15419120

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
I hope you're doing well. Sorry for the delay in responding due to the weekend.

Thank you for patiently trying out the suggestions. As the issue persists, a closer inspection will be required to understand the root cause of the issue.

As we don't provide support outside of this support platform, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site along with the steps to reproduce the issue(a video would be great in this matter). It would be better to have a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” or "All in One WP Migration" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT
-Please backup site files and database before providing us access.
-If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Looking forward to your response and I'm always here to help.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

March 19, 2024 at 8:11 am #15424425

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
Thank you for sharing the video and the access information.

I have accessed your site and replicated the reported issue by saving the English menu. Subsequently, only the English menu appeared on both the English and French versions of the site. Additionally, I also noticed that the menu was missing from the French version in the backend.

However, since you have shared the FTP access, I checked the 'mu-plugin' folder and noticed that the plugin mentioned in my initial response was not present there. It was added in the "functions.php" file of the theme.

Given that the code works optimally when placed in the 'mu-plugins' folder, I proceeded to place the plugin file (Non-Persistent-Cache.php) within /wp-content/mu-plugins and then tried to recreate the issue. This time, the menu didn't disappear from the backend. I monitored the situation for more than 30 minutes, during which I also attempted to provoke the issue by saving the menu in both languages. The menu remained in the Baacken.

However, the frontend issue persists, with either the English or French menu continuing to display incorrectly across both the English and French versions of the site.

I hope adding the menu cache group into the Non-persistent cache file might address the problem. Could you provide access to the portal where I can manage the Object caching settings or view the cached groups? This will allow me to conduct a thorough examination. Following my assessment, I'll advise on the next steps. If required, I'm prepared to escalate the matter to our second-tier support team for a more in-depth analysis.

The private box is enabled for you so that you can securely share access to the portal.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

March 20, 2024 at 7:53 am #15429707

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
Thank you for sharing the access.

The issue remains unresolved despite implementing several potential solutions. It has now been escalated to our second-tier team for further investigation. As soon as I have any information or progress on this, I will surely inform you.

Thank you for your patience and kind cooperation in this matter.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

March 21, 2024 at 5:02 pm #15437683

gabeS-4

Hey guys. Any update here? We are dealing with some very angry clients, and need to get this rectified as soon as possible. Thanks

March 22, 2024 at 6:44 am #15438814

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,

I understand your concerns. We're already looking into some issues related to Object Caching, and the problem you've highlighted is now part of our investigation. Our team is actively working on finding a solution, and we're hopeful that we'll be able to resolve this soon.

To check the cached queries, installing the Query Monitor plugin is necessary. However, I don't have the required permissions to install plugins. I tried uploading Query Monitor via FTP, but it didn't work. Could you please enable the Query Monitor plugin across the network? Additionally, if any permissions need adjusting to use the plugin's features, could you handle that as well?

Let me know when it is done so that I can check and forward to the dev team for further investigation. I appreciate your patience and kind cooperation in this matter.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

March 22, 2024 at 5:24 pm #15441984

gabeS-4

Hi Prosenjit:

I have now enabled the Query Monitor plugin across the network and have made your account (the new one you created called wpmlsupport) a super-admin for the LHJMQ. You should be able to access the plugin features now. Please let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks

March 25, 2024 at 6:23 pm #15448638

gabeS-4

Hello Prosenjit:

We are just wondering if you can provide any update on this issue? Would it help to do a collaboration with the WPEngine team on this? Perhaps we can set up a shared Zoom meeting with the WPEngine engineers. Please let me know.

We need to get to the bottom of this one way or another in short order.

Thanks

March 26, 2024 at 6:18 am #15449476

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hello,
I hope you're doing well. My apologies for the late reply, as the weekend and a national holiday caused a delay.

Thank you for granting the Super Admin privileges.

I have checked but for some reason, the cached Groups or Keys are not visible in the Object caching plugin. I also have tried to Bypass the Object caching just for the nav menu but due to the strict object caching rules by WPEngine, that is also not working.

I already have forwarded all the findings to the 2nd tier team for further investigation. For your information, debugging issues with Object caching is complex, especially in multilingual environment as each language version of the site separately gets cached. Here, we're dealing with invisible, often external data stores that don't always sync up with your main data source. The rules about when data gets saved or deleted from the cache can be intricate and vary under different conditions. Plus, when lots of processes are interacting with the cache at the same time, unexpected issues can pop up, making these problems tough to nail down and fix.

Therefore, investigating this could take a bit of time, but rest assured, we'll promptly notify you as soon as there's any update or progress on this matter.

If assistance from the WPEngine support team is necessary in this matter, our compatibility team will make contact and collaborate with them to further address this issue.

I hope you can understand and I truly appreciate your patience and cooperation in this matter.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

March 26, 2024 at 12:44 pm #15451235

gabeS-4

Hi Prosenjit

We have been unable to resolve this now going on 3 weeks. This failure creates a violation of Canadian law which requires digital properties to be able to deliver in French and English.

I want to make you guys aware that we both have liability if we are unable to get this working. Can we work directly with the 2nd tier team to resolve this? Or is there a way to escalate this further?

We have a direct line to that same at WPE who is also anxious to see this resolved. I would hope we could all collaborate to solve this.

Please let us know how we can expedite this, and if we can do anything on our end to assist.

March 26, 2024 at 2:06 pm #15451644

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi,

I fully understand the situation, especially considering the legal requirements for bilingual digital properties in Canada. Please be assured that resolving this issue is a top priority for us.

Our 2nd tier team is actively working on the issue, and honestly, it involves complex debugging. Further actions or escalations will be taken by the 2nd tier team based on the investigation. I will ensure to keep you promptly informed on the progress.

While we handle the technical aspects of this resolution, there's no immediate action required on your part. However, your offer to assist is greatly appreciated, and we will certainly reach out should we need any additional information or support from your team or through you from the WPE team.

We're committed to working diligently on this matter and will keep you updated on our progress. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated during this time.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

The topic ‘[Closed] Object Cache changes main language and affects menu’ is closed to new replies.