Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
July 21, 2023 at 11:49 am #14079717

marketingV

When I translate a post with the auto-translate option in the translation manager, the slug on the translations are empty. Because of that, the post cannot be opened in other languages. Only in the default language (English)

----

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Translate posts

Is there any documentation that you are following?
The official docs

What is the link to your site?
verbruggen-palletizing.com

no-slug.png
July 24, 2023 at 6:55 am #14085909

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

According to the debug information, I see the slug is auto-generated from the post title, you can check this option in WPML > Settings > Translated documents options > Page URL: Auto-generate from title (default).

But according to the screenshot, I see you are manually updating the translation post slug in the Quick Edit section. You can manually add the slug "wat-is-inline-palletiserung" to the Quick Edit section and re-save permalink settings Post name in Settings > Permalinks.

Or enable a minimal environment as below and try to change the slug again to see if it helps:
- deactivate all non-WPML plugins
- switch to a standard theme of WordPress
❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

July 24, 2023 at 10:05 am #14088055

marketingV

Thank you for the reply.

I didn't manually change titles or slugs. I just wanted to show you that the slugs are empty after translating. That is the problem.

July 25, 2023 at 2:37 am #14092861

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Please try to make a small change to the post title > Save changes > Update the translation and see if the translation slug is generated again.

If it does not help, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
You can use this plugin to create the backup: 
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
✙ I would need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Thanks

July 28, 2023 at 9:57 am #14116057

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I try to create a new post (WPML test post) and translate it with automatic translation from WPML > Translation Management but do not see that issue. I also see it does not happen with other posts in the German language, please check this screenshot hidden link

Then I update the slug for that post and it displays properly in the frontend, just edit the post in the German language > Click on Update.

Thanks

July 28, 2023 at 10:55 am #14116493

marketingV

Hi Long,

Thank you for the help. I Have found the issue.
The persons who makes the post had made clones of other posts. When cloning, the slugs of the clone will be empty off course. So when translated, the slugs will still be empty.

I have told them to never clone a post again. Just create a new post and start from scratch.

Thank you for all the help!
Have a nice day 🙂

July 29, 2023 at 11:42 am #14121057

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any questions.

Thanks and have a good day.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.