Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tomazK 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas.

Author Posts
December 12, 2022 at 7:37 am #12632005

tomazK

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am trying to translate a page that will run on different domains/languages and use the Manual/independent translation method, since the content (and layout) on the translated pages differs from the original, and we also have custom links on the pages. The pages are powered by Elementor with some additional addon plugins. Normally this isn't a problem, but this time it doesn't work because it's in a second language / domain does not load Elementor. In fact, it always logs me out of WordPress.

I checked the forums but couldn't find a way.
Maybe it will work if I translate within the domain in the "Different languages in directories" way and then change the URL format to "A different domain per language" after it's done.

Do you have any experience with this, would it work? - test works.
Or some other way of translation?

Is there any documentation that you are following?
Of course, I am also a regular user of WPML and have no problem understanding how it works.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link - but the content it's hidden.

Regards,
Tomaz

December 12, 2022 at 4:05 pm #12636507

Andreas

Hello there

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to help you.

To be honest I am confused by your question.

You are having a page that trying to translate and will run on different domains/languages and use the Manual/independent translation method.

I am not sure what you are trying to do. To add a translation in a domain and that migrate that site to different domains ?

If this is the issue, then you already described the solution

1) Create a staging site and set directories on language.
2) Finish all the translations
3) Start migrating to new domains
4) When finished set it as the domain per language to all new domains and everything will be fine.

Just in case I am sharing the documentation for a domain per language:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance. I'll gladly help you. 🙂

Regards,
Andreas

December 13, 2022 at 8:21 am #12639941

tomazK

Hi

Yes, this is correct:

"You are having a page that trying to translate and will run on different domains/languages and use the Manual/independent translation method."

Additionally, the page is powered by Elementor.

The problem is that I can't edit the translation - that is, the secondary language on the other domain, because it doesn't load Elementor on that domain. It even always logs me out of WordPress.

We work on the main domain, where otherwise everything works as it should.

As I have tested, I can only edit the translations using the "Different languages in directories" process and then change the settings to "A different domain per language".

The main challenge will be that whenever we add new content, we will need to temporarily change these settings, since Elementor does not work on the secondary domain.

So is there no way to edit Elementor page translation in Manual/independent translation method in "A different domain per language" mode ?

I know it sounds confusing, but it is important for us to use the Manual/independent translation method and the page runs on different domains per language.

December 13, 2022 at 11:03 am #12641045

Andreas

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed I am confused a lot, to be honest.

In general there no nothing wrong with Elementor using different domains per language. But I suppose you are talking about the wrong license in Elementor ? I had a similar issue with a customer this is why I am asking you.

If this is the problem, then the backend should be accessed from one domain only, otherwise, we cannot do anything about it.

If it is something else, please clarify.

Regards,
Andreas

December 16, 2022 at 7:30 am #12662279

tomazK

Hi Andreas.

Thanks for your assistance.
As I'm using free Elementor, there should not be a problem with a licence.

I figured out how to edit it.
In fact, I have to edit another language (on a secondary domain) in another browser, or in incoqnito mode.
However, I cannot switch between languages and edit content when logging in to the basic domain - we edit in independent mode.

All good now, you can close this tread as resolved.

Regards

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.