Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing timeouts when trying to save products on their website. After disabling plugins one by one, they identified that WPML was causing the issue.

Solution:
First, we recommended disabling Cloudflare temporarily and enabling PHP error logging to share the error logs. We provided resources on how to enable error logs:

After analyzing the logs, we found database errors related to W3 Total Cache plugin interfering with database queries. We suggested disabling W3 Total Cache temporarily, clearing the DB cache, and adding "WP_ADMIN" in the "Reject constants" to prevent caching of admin requests.

Additionally, our second tier support identified a small database corruption. The client needed to remove the postmeta value with the key name "_icl_lang_duplicate_of" where the meta value was the post ID causing the issue. The SQL query provided was:

DELETE FROM `wp_postmeta` WHERE `meta_key` = '_icl_lang_duplicate_of' AND `meta_value` = '22037';

It was important to adjust the table prefix to match the client's site database prefix and to make a database backup before executing the query.

We also provided information on the tools and techniques used for debugging, including the use of a local server stack, Xdebug, and an IDE for step debugging.

If the solution provided here is not relevant due to being outdated or not applicable to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at WPML Known Issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket in the WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 33 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by George Botsev 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assisted by: Waqas Bin Hasan.

Author Posts
March 20, 2024 at 1:13 pm

germaneK

Hello,
I'm having issue with saving products. When I'm trying to update the site goes to timeout due to long execution. I troubleshoot the issue disabling the plugin one by one and detect that wpml caused the problem. so i'm texting you to help me out.
I linked debug info to the chat

March 20, 2024 at 2:24 pm
March 20, 2024 at 7:21 pm
March 21, 2024 at 8:36 am #15434901

germaneK

Hey there,
thank you so much for your guidance!
I'm happy to report that I've successfully completed the migration. Here are the details of the WordPress dashboard:
*** removed for security reasons ***

March 21, 2024 at 5:14 pm #15437741

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thank you for the updates, I'll check soon and 'll get back to you accordingly.

P.S.: Do not share sensitive information in public message, always ask to enable private message/replies if needed. I've removed the credentials for now after noting down.

March 21, 2024 at 10:09 pm #15438436

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

I tried to access the site and there was something referring to ionCube thus preventing access. So I had to disable all plugins via sFTP one by one.

I am now trying to work on the problem but running into that ionCube thing which I've to figure out first. I'll get back to you once I've more progress.

March 22, 2024 at 8:25 am #15439181

germaneK

Hello,
Thanks for updates.
I am looking forward hearing from you.

March 22, 2024 at 10:09 pm #15442568

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience, I was able to see the problem but unfortunately our testing server is having some technical issues that I'm unable to work on it efficiently.

I'll check again on Monday and 'll get back to you accordingly.

March 25, 2024 at 1:17 pm #15447016

germaneK

Hello,
Do you have any update on this?

March 25, 2024 at 8:02 pm #15448899

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

I was able to test more by deactivating all other plugins except WPML, ST, WC and WCML, while using a default WordPress theme.

I see that when I update this page hidden link it works just fine, unlike it was reported running into a timeout or long execution.

I've also tried creating new test product(s) based on the above's, and all seems to work.

Can you please take a moment to login to this test site, check and reproduce the problem? And 'd be great to note down exact steps. So I can then try again.

Please let me know.

March 26, 2024 at 1:09 pm #15451539

germaneK

Yes I've tried and its working, but can you check on live website?
I think it's not the same

March 26, 2024 at 1:28 pm #15451578

germaneK

on the live website, I've disabled all plugins except wpml and woocomerce and changed the theme to default wordpress, unfortunately - no effect.
when I reset the WPML using throubleshooting tool, it worked, but this is not the way want to fix the issue, since I want to save my translated data

March 26, 2024 at 7:16 pm #15452996

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for the updates. And indeed resetting isn't a solution for a working site.

Since you mentioned that:

> on the live website, I've disabled all plugins except wpml and woocomerce and changed the theme to default wordpress, unfortunately - no effect.

Can you provide your site package, having the issue with that minimal setup (as you tried)? Since it is happening in your site, I'd need to escalate the issue to our 2nd tier team for investigation along with a copy of your site.

Please see https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/ for more details.

I've set your next reply as private to share this information safely.

March 27, 2024 at 9:35 am
March 27, 2024 at 7:52 pm #15457999

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for the site backup but that's not a duplicator package. I tried to setup on my local without any luck.

However, I 've escalated to our 2nd tier team for some insights. Please note it may take some time, if they are able to set it up properly. Otherwise we'll need a duplicator package, as requested here previously: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/.

Anyways, I'll update you as soon as I hear back.

germaneK confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-04-10 10:01:49.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.