Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client installed WPML and expected that switching the language using the WPML switch in the admin bar would change the WordPress panels and sidebar language accordingly. However, this was not happening.
Solution:
We explained that WPML is designed to keep the backend language consistent, regardless of the language selected in the backend top bar. This is a preference expressed by many of our users. To set the WordPress administration language, we provided a link to our documentation:
Setting the WordPress Administration Language.

If this solution does not apply to your situation, or if it seems outdated, we encourage you to check for related known issues, verify the version of the permanent fix, and confirm that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. Should you still encounter issues, please do not hesitate to open a new support ticket with us. For further assistance, you can reach out to our support forum here: WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
February 23, 2024 at 2:05 pm #15338165

dariod-33

I installed WPML, since I am the admin.
My profile has Language as Site Default, WPML language settings both off.
If the WPML switch in admin bar is English, all WordPress panels and sidebar are in English.
If I switch to Italian, I would expect all WordPress panels and sidebar in Italian language.
It does not work.

I expect that the WPML switch would change also the language of WP interface.

no-switch-admin.jpg
February 23, 2024 at 4:01 pm #15338659

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

Before this ticket gets assigned to my colleagues, I will try to help.

I understand what you mean but usually, our users prefer to set the backend to a specific language only and be the same while they are in the backend of the site no matter the language selected at the backend top bar.

Due to that general request, the way WPML works (regarding the admin language) is like this:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/setting-the-wordpress-administration-language/

I hope that you will find this information helpful 🙂

Mihai Apetrei

February 23, 2024 at 5:31 pm #15338879

dariod-33

OK, I understand. I would prefere to have both option, but it is ok. At least, it is not a bug. 😉

dariod-33 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-02-23 17:31:20.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.