Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is trying to duplicate content from Simplified Chinese pages to Traditional Chinese pages and is unsure how to proceed using the WPML Translation Management board.

Solution:
1. To duplicate Simplified Chinese pages to Traditional Chinese, use the Translation Management board to filter pages by language and then duplicate them.
2. If there is an issue with the duplication, edit the page in Simplified Chinese and click on 'Update' to synchronize the content with the Traditional Chinese version. This can also be done in bulk as shown in the provided screenshot.
3. For new pages, the process is as follows:
- Create a new page in English.
- Translate it to Simplified Chinese.
- Edit the translation page in Simplified Chinese.
- Manually duplicate it to Traditional Chinese.

If this solution does not seem relevant to your situation, please open a new support ticket with us and we will be happy to assist you further.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 37 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
January 3, 2024 at 1:55 am #15144991

jackH-4

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Copy from simplified Chinese pages to Traditional Chinese pages

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/#how-to-duplicate-pages-and-posts-in-bulk

The instructions are not clear at all. I want to duplicate the already translated simplified Chinese into traditional Chinese.

What do I choose for simplified Chinese, translate, duplicate or do nothing?
What do I choose for traditional Chinese translate, duplicate or do nothing?
If I want to copy the content from the simplified to create a brand new traditional Chinese pages?

Is there a similar example that we can see?
no.

What is the link to your site?
ezekiel-ion.com

2024-01-02_205036.jpg
January 3, 2024 at 3:56 am #15145104

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Jack,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

I understand you want to duplicate the translation Simplified Chinese pages to Traditional Chinese pages. In the Translation Management board, you can filter pages by language and duplicate them as well. Please check the screenshot attached.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

Translation Management ‹ WPML Testing — WordPress 2024-01-03 10-55-02.png
January 3, 2024 at 4:04 am #15145123

jackH-4

It doesn't help. When I do that and set the filter the whole list of pages disappear. It makes no sense to me.

I just simply want to duplicate all the simplified Chinese pages into traditional Chinese pages. I want to know if the translations can be done automatically, otherwise, I can also translate the new pages manually. I need a step by step instructions.

2024-01-02_230345.jpg
January 3, 2024 at 4:23 am #15145144

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Because there are no pages translated into Chinese (Traditional) language so please remove it from the filter "translated to", you should select "Any language".

If it does not help, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
You can use this plugin to create the backup: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Thanks

Translation Management ‹ WPML Testing — WordPress 2024-01-03 11-22-36.png
January 3, 2024 at 4:28 am #15145159

jackH-4

I have set it as mentioned. The simplified Chinese pages showed up.

So I have to check the pages I want to translate/duplicate?

What do I select for the bottom choices?

2024-01-02_232612.jpg
January 3, 2024 at 4:36 am #15145175

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Yes, you should check the pages and select duplicate to Chinese Traditional.
I recommend not translating from a second language to another language. You should translate the page from the original language to other languages, from English to Chinese Simplified and Traditional in this case.
"Do nothing" simply means don't do anything.

January 3, 2024 at 4:49 am #15145180

jackH-4

The simplified Chinese to traditional Chinese would be more accurate. It just character change.

You still did not answer my question, after I select the pages. What do I check down there for the traditional Chinese and English? See attached.

2024-01-02_232612.jpg
January 3, 2024 at 6:46 am #15145267

Long Nguyen
Supporter

As I already mentioned above, after selecting pages, you can select "Duplicate content" for Chinese Traditional and "Do nothing" for English.

January 5, 2024 at 4:35 am #15153197

jackH-4

I have done the "Duplicate content" for the traditional Chinese. However, all the pages are blanks. What am I supposed to do next? I am using Themify theme.

January 5, 2024 at 6:36 am #15153240

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to have a testing site where the issue is replicated. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
You can use this plugin to create the backup: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
✙ I would need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Thanks

January 8, 2024 at 4:59 am #15158093

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I see that issue. You can fix that by editing the page in Chinese Simplified and clicking on Update to sync the content to the Chinese Traditional. Or bulk update pages as screenshot attached.

For the next update of the page English > Chinese Simplified, you also do the same steps to update the page in Chinese Traditional.

Thanks

Pages ‹ EZEKIEL-ION — WordPress 2024-01-08 11-32-38.png
January 8, 2024 at 5:07 am #15158110

jackH-4

Were you able to duplicate a page? Example?

I translated everything in the Simplified Chinese manually from English. They were not auto translated.

I got a "fatal error" message from WP saying the stage site has crashed. I was in there already so I am still ok. Did you see the message?

January 8, 2024 at 7:27 am #15158296

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, I can duplicate pages into Chinese Traditional as well, for example hidden link

If the bulk update doesn't work, you can edit a page in Chinese Simplified and click Update, please check the screenshot attached.

Thanks

Edit Page ‹ EZEKIEL-ION — WordPress 2024-01-08 14-26-27.png
January 10, 2024 at 3:27 pm #15169760

jackH-4

On the live site, since the bulk duplicate doesn't work, should I be doing it one by one like you mentioned?

In the future, if I need to create new pages, how do I duplicate and translate one by one?

January 11, 2024 at 2:26 am #15172090

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, you can duplicate the pages from Chinese Simplified to Chinese Traditional one by one as I suggested.

For new pages, the workflow should be:
- Create a new page in English.
- Translate it to Chinese Simplified.
- Edit the translation page in Chinese Simplified.
- Duplicate it to Chinese Traditional manually.

Thanks

Edit Page ‹ EZEKIEL-ION — WordPress 2024-01-11 09-25-11.png
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.