Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is trying to duplicate content from Simplified Chinese pages to Traditional Chinese pages and is unsure how to proceed using the WPML Translation Management board.

Solution:
1. To duplicate Simplified Chinese pages to Traditional Chinese, use the Translation Management board to filter pages by language and then duplicate them.
2. If there is an issue with the duplication, edit the page in Simplified Chinese and click on 'Update' to synchronize the content with the Traditional Chinese version. This can also be done in bulk as shown in the provided screenshot.
3. For new pages, the process is as follows:
- Create a new page in English.
- Translate it to Simplified Chinese.
- Edit the translation page in Simplified Chinese.
- Manually duplicate it to Traditional Chinese.

If this solution does not seem relevant to your situation, please open a new support ticket with us and we will be happy to assist you further.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 37 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
January 16, 2024 at 3:30 am #15187481
jackH-4

The traditional Chinese menu cannot be found under Appearance -> Menu. No menu items at all. How can that be duplicated from the Simplified Chinese?

If you noticed, with the Traditional Chinese, one can still see the menu. I don't know where they come from and the "Learn" menu is not translated.

What do I need to do to translate the menu?

p.s. for future version of WPML, maybe it should automatically change the setting "_themify_builder_settings_json" to translate. No one would be able to solve that.

New threads created by Long Nguyen and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-traditional-chinese-menu-cannot-be-found-under-appearance-menu/

January 16, 2024 at 3:47 am #15187545

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi,

The translation field preference can be set to "Translate" by default if you use the custom XML configuration code. Please follow the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/custom-fields-translation-options/

In the file wpml-config.php under the main theme folder "Themify Shoppe", I see it is set to "Translate" as default.

<custom-field action="translate" encoding="json">_themify_builder_settings_json</custom-field>

However, I'm not sure why it is set to "Don't Translate" on your live site. The settings in WPML > Settings > Custom Fields Translation will override the theme settings. Maybe it was manually changed by someone.

As I mentioned above, we can handle one issue per ticket only so I will split your new issue with the translation menu into another ticket. If you see the main issue of this ticket with duplication page is resolved, please mark it as Resolved.

Thanks.

January 16, 2024 at 5:20 am #15187716
jackH-4

Thank you.

I also noticed that the products are not duplicated. How do I do that?

There is also the Shop page that is missing the 3 categories.

New threads created by Long Nguyen and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/duplicate-products-from-one-translation-into-another/

January 16, 2024 at 7:52 am #15188037

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Again, I will split your new issue with duplication product into another ticket.

Thanks.

January 17, 2024 at 4:12 am #15192632

jackH-4

There is a page that is not duplicated stage/zh-hant/negative-ions/ It shows blank.

I tried update from Simplified Chinese but nothing came out.

January 17, 2024 at 4:47 am #15192642

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

That page in Chinese Traditional is a translation page, not a duplication. If you edit the page in Chinese Simplified, you don't see the label (duplicate) next to Chinese Traditional language.

I delete the page in Chinese Traditional and duplicate it again from the page in Chinese Simplified and it displays correctly in the frontend. Please check screenshots attached.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

Edit Page ‹ EZEKIEL-ION — WordPress 2024-01-17 11-40-37.png
Edit Page ‹ EZEKIEL-ION — WordPress 2024-01-17 11-37-40.png
January 17, 2024 at 5:49 am #15192712

jackH-4

How did you know it was a "translation" and not a duplicate? You mean it was created differently? This is so complicated 🙁

January 17, 2024 at 9:19 am #15193597

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

It's how WPML works. When you edit the page in Chinese Simplified, you can see if the translation is a duplication by checking the language box. There is a label (duplicate) next to the language.

Please read more about duplication in the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

Thanks.

Edit Page ‹ EZEKIEL-ION — WordPress 2024-01-17 16-17-13.png
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.